Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently traded away my Delta Elite to eventually get the latest version. Anyhow, funds are really tight right now, and it hasn't happened yet. Today I pulled out my Kimber Stainless Target ii in 10mm, which has about 200 rounds through it. Anyhow, gun is very accurate and I shoot it very well, but at times it will lock the slide back with rounds still in the magazine. This happened maybe 5-7x in 50 rounds. I called Kimber to ask if this was common. They told me about their excellent 1 year warranty and couldn't help me out since my gun has a date of 2011. Anyhow, that's for a different post. They recommend I replace the slide stop. I was shooting s&b ammo, which I get isn't the greatest. More break in time, different ammo, different mags, go ahead and try new Kimber slide stop?? Not broke in enough? What say you? For all the smart a**es out there, that will say buy a new Delta, ha ha in advance. Thank you.

·
Banned
345 Posts
Have a Kimber Eclipse the same as yours with a nicer paint job. Had the same problem as you among others and they sent me a new slide stop. It appeared to take care of that problem among many. I sent it back and it came back good and now enjoy it. Have the SSII in 38 Super and 9mm with the same issue. They sent new slide stops for those 2 also. They worked well with Kimber mags but had problems with other magazines. I replaced all with Wilson Combat Bulletproof slide stops and now all is well with all mags used.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, thx. Did they send u them free?? Where did u get Wilson versions from, are they stainless??

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I would check the slide stop plunger, and plunger spring. Make sure its moving freely inside the plunger tube and has plenty of spring pressure. I would also try different types of ammunition.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody have any recommendations for good ammo, i.e. best grain and what not for a 1911 10mm. Sorry I'm really a revolver guy....all new to me, thx.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
I shoot Remington 180 grain jacketed flat point, Winchester SilverTips and Hornady JHP...all function perfectly and very accurate. The Remington seems to have little to no flash suppressant and throws out quite the fireball. The SilverTips are loaded pretty hot.

I've not tried the S&B in 10mm but have in 9mm and .45 and found it quite good. It seems to have a bit less recoil so it must be loaded less hot but it was clean burning compared to many.

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
Take a rotary tool with a burr bit and make a dimple in the end of the slide stop where the plunger sits normally. Most likely a round is hitting the slide stop from the inside and bumping it up. The extra resistance caused by the dimple will make it harder to become indvertently engaged. Sometimes taking a bit off the inside of the slide stop, but making sure there is enough to contact the magazine follower properly, will also help solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sometimes it' the ogive of the bullet that bumps up the slide stop. I had an officers model that would only shoot semi wadcutter reliably in the stock gun.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Federal Eagle ammo. S&B ain't that good! Shoulda kept yer DE! jmho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was not happy with Kimber's answer for me to buy the new slide stop, called them again, and had a more "firm" conversation with them, this time they listened and sent it on their dime. Got my new slide stop in the mail yesterday and installed it. Hopefully this will help, and I'm going to try some Sig ammo I have around.

Anybody ever try the Pachmayr American Legend grips, those look pretty nice...??

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Take the slide stop and get some rough sand paper. Take the face of the slide stop(the side the plunger rubs against) rough it up a bit. If that don't work take a pointed punch and put a slight ding in the slide stop face where the plunger is hitting it. That should fix it. As for the ammo, S&B ammo is perfectly fine, it is clean and accurate. I never had an issue with them and I am a 10mm guy. I have 5 of them. As for break in period well that depends on the gun but usually 500 rounds should do the trick. hope that helps good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts