Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 5 of these little rascals, only one, will the slide say out of battery after that last shot. Is there a simple fix for this. It is a Colt, (brown box,yellow label) conversion unit. somewhat old but shoots like a dream except for this inconvenient little flaw. Any easy fix for this that anyone might know of.?? THANKS !! (y) :)

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
What is on the floorplate for writing? There are a lot of aftermarket mags that have followers that do not work as well as the genuine article. Pete

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The .22 conversion slide stops were marked with a "2". Slightly different to hold slide open on last shot. The .38 supers were marked with a "3". Hope this helps. (It is not unusual to find the original slide stop missing from conversion units).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the unit DID have a stop but I never knew there was much of a difference. If it works one one, wouldnt it work on all five?? Hmmm--:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Well the unit DID have a stop but I never knew there was much of a difference. If it works one one, wouldnt it work on all five?? Hmmm--:unsure:
Not necessarily,you really need the “2” for proper operation. Pete

Reactions: skwcoltguy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't checked the one on the gun, but the one off the series 70 is marked ' 1 ' will have to go and get the gun out and check. If it DOES say ' 2 ', what might be my next step here?? :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I removed the stop that came with the unit and it ALSO has a ' 1 ' so-- now what?? Finding the correct stop I am sure will not be easy. :( Anything I can do short of finding the correct stop? or just live with it?? :(

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
:( Anything I can do short of finding the correct stop? or just live with it?? :(
Its going to be difficult locating one. Don’t make a mistake and buy a “2” that’s enclosed in a circle— this is NOT a Colt part and can damage
the mag follower tips and ruin them. Good luck. Pete

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
I don’t know. I think the “2” has a wider contact ledge then the”1” which makes me think that’s why the shorter ledge of the 1 isntcontacting the hold open tab on the Ace mags. I’m no expert and I’ve been wrong before. 😂
Google a company called “EGW” Pete

Reactions: hwjhfs

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
OK, I removed the stop that came with the unit and it ALSO has a ' 1 ' so-- now what?? Finding the correct stop I am sure will not be easy.
Tusker10MM,

If you want to search for a COLT #2 slide stop,...here's some other examples of the "2"s that COLT used. (These are out of 50s, 60s, and 70s COLT Conversion Units.)

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Number 2 slide stops show up occasionally on ebay, but be prepared to pay $75 or more if you find one. In the meantime, do a close measurement of the magazine followers that are in the mags that work with the #1 stop. Remove them from the magazines so you can get a micrometer on them. It might be possible to very slightly bend the little tab on the follower outward enough to be tripped by the slide stop but not so much that it causes the follower to bind in the mag tube. Check for the follower binding with the mag spring removed. Check for proper slide stop function with the gun field stripped and the slide stop in place and in the downward position. Slowly insert the mag and push upwards and observe if the follower tab trips the slide stop upward when fully inserted.

I once added an extended slide stop to a gun and had to tune a couple of magazines that way to work properly with it. Others worked fine. The tolerances between the followers and slide stop must have varied just enough in a few cases to create the go/no go issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another option is a Colt Ace slide stop from EGW. Cost $50 and shipping. It fixed the problem for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another option is a Colt Ace slide stop from EGW. Cost $50 and shipping. It fixed the problem for me.
I saw their web site and ask the question to be sure before I read this. Sounds like I need to get one. MANY THANKS. (y) :)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'm late to the party,
If you are still having issues I have a source for new Colt/Metalform magazine followers and new magazine springs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts