Colt Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,438 Posts
Walter Rego suggests "bend the little tab." The follower is cast pot metal and there is no "tab" to bend. If only one magazine does not lock back, that probably indicates the "shelf" on the offending magazine is worn off a bit or is out of specification. Either way, the "fix" is to put a screw in the area of the "shelf" and grind off the top half of the head and shape the remainder, crating a larger "shelf" made out of steel that will not peen off in the future. I recall a thread where someone posted pictures of the "fix." Over the decades, I have fixed several magazines that way that would not lock back even with the proper Number 2 slide stop.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Ah yes, JudgeColt is correct. I was thinking of the mags that have the L shaped followers like on a .45/9mm/.38 Super.
And I even have an early post war Conversion Unit with a couple of factory mags that I could have looked at.
Sorry for the bum steer advice.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm late to the party,
If you are still having issues I have a source for new Colt/Metalform magazine followers and new magazine springs.

Such information would be most welcome. THANKS!!!! Was looking at my magazines tonight. Seems the bases are pinned, and some of the followers look past their prime?? Replace or try and fix. All springs seem ok. After my new stop gets here Monday, further testing seems prudent. :)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Such information would be most welcome. THANKS!!!! Was looking at my magazines tonight. Seems the bases are pinned, and some of the followers look past their prime?? Replace or try and fix. All springs seem ok. After my new stop gets here Monday, further testing seems prudent. :)
Click on the links:
Magazine follower:

Magazine springs:

·
Premium Member
9,438 Posts
824, thanks for the link to the Marvel followers. That is an easy solution for any magazine that will not lock the slide back after the last round is fired. I assume the "shelf" is "generous" so as to work with any slide stop, not just the Number 2 stops.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Judge, there is a pic in my link. OEM plastic follower on the left. The shelf of the Marvel metal insert follower on the right is bigger, but I haven't tried them with any other slide stop than a #2 or the EGW "Ace" slide stop.

·
Premium Member
9,438 Posts
The "shelf" looks bigger all around to me, not just wider but also projecting further out of the magazine toward the slide stop. It should be easy to judge by looking down from the top of the magazine whether the "shelf" projects out further.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Here's a pic of a '64 vintage Colt Government Model frame and a '47 vintage Colt .22 Conversion Unit #2 slide stop. The magazine has a Marvel steel insert plastic follower installed. It's not easy to take a clear picture without a good light and 4 hands but this is my best effort. There is quite a bit of contact between the metal shelf of the follower and the slide stop tab. You can enlarge the pic by clicking on the pic and then clicking on the magnifying glass + at the top right.

8CF69044-1F75-426F-8AF8-8B39E4B499C3_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Tried to enhance your picture a little. Not sure it helps. Pete

Reactions: stan3
21 - 31 of 31 Posts