Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 80 Series 1911 and was wondering, can I take a 70 Series trigger I have and put it in the 80 Series? Will it even fit? And if it will is that a job for a gunsmith, or an easy do it yourself project.

Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, it will fit , series 70 and 80 triggers are the same, if the width is the same and I suspect it is..........Gold Cups have a wider trigger, but I didn't read GC in your post, either......

That said, ALL after market triggers should fit, but there will be adjustments in take up and over travel built onto the after market trigger that make it fit, and function better than the factory trigger...thats the whole point of having it.

If you are not adept at installing/adjusting a trigger, any good G'smith should be able to do it for you in about 10 minutes encluding the adjustments.

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it will fit , if the width in the same and I suspect it is..........Gold Cups have a wider trigger, but I didn't read GP, either......
That said, ALL after market triggers should fit, but there will be adjustments in take up and over travel built onto the after trigger that make it fit and function better than the factory trigger.

If you are not adept at installing, any good G'smith should be able to do it for you in about 10 minutes encluting the adjustments.

Tom
It's a Colt factory 70 Series trigger. My dad is the gunsmith I'll be using, but he just wanted to make sure there weren't any parts of the installation that'd best be done by a pro gunsmith. Thanks, Tom!

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Should not be any problem. The trigger is not a Series 80 specific part. If your Dad is not familar with the Series 80 lockwork, do a little research to make sure the Series 80 parts get reinstalled properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should not be any problem. The trigger is not a Series 80 specific part. If your Dad is not familar with the Series 80 lockwork, do a little research to make sure the Series 80 parts get reinstalled properly.
Thanks, bud. We'll definitely YouTube it up. He's owned and worked with 1911's in the past, so this shouldn't be a problem at all for him.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Like Ken said you can install the parts where the pistol will appear to function correctly but will not actually fire. The best way to test, in my experience, is after it is all put together point it at the ceiling, put a pencil eraser towards the breech down the barrel and pull the trigger. if it pops the pencil out or makes it move upward it is functioning correctly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Ken said you can install the parts where the pistol will appear to function correctly but will not actually fire. The best way to test, in my experience, is after it is all put together point it at the ceiling, put a pencil eraser towards the breech down the barrel and pull the trigger. if it pops the pencil out or makes it move upward it is functioning correctly
Thanks so much. We'll do our homework, and test thoroughly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts