Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 1911 had a baby:

I am very proud and want to buy them a pair of matching outfits. I've already put a stainless steel trigger in the Mustang to make them match that much better, but I can't find a single pair of grips that match the fully checkered medallion walnut grips I put on my 1911, which seems absurd since out of all seven of my Colts, all but the Anaconda has fully checkered walnut grips with medallions.

I found these: Gun Grip - Colt Mustang & Pocketlite Walnut Checkered Grips With Medallions
These aren't perfect with the border. They would be close enough, I guess, except my god that is a lot to pay for two tiny pieces of walnut that aren't even quite what I'm after.

Did Colt ever make a walnut version of the grips they put on the Mustang? Does anyone know of a custom grip maker who could make a pair up for me for less than 1/3 of what I paid for the gun itself?

I'd also be interested in recommendations on a place I could get any style grip for the Mustang if I could also get exact duplicates for my 1911 as well--both with the medallion as well, of course.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Congrats on the new bambino!! I enjoy outfitting a couple like guns to match too. I opted for matching buffalo bone outfits for a Gold Cup National Match and Officers ACP:

Two good places, in addition to those you have found are Esmeralda: http://www.esmeralda.cc/
Her work is exceptional. And Sarge's Finer Grain: Home Page
He can make custom stocks with a fit that is perfection.

·
Registered
440 Posts
So, my 1911 had a baby:

I am very proud and want to buy them a pair of matching outfits. I've already put a stainless steel trigger in the Mustang to make them match that much better, but I can't find a single pair of grips that match the fully checkered medallion walnut grips I put on my 1911, which seems absurd since out of all seven of my Colts, all but the Anaconda has fully checkered walnut grips with medallions.

I found these: Gun Grip - Colt Mustang & Pocketlite Walnut Checkered Grips With Medallions
These aren't perfect with the border. They would be close enough, I guess, except my god that is a lot to pay for two tiny pieces of walnut that aren't even quite what I'm after.

Did Colt ever make a walnut version of the grips they put on the Mustang? Does anyone know of a custom grip maker who could make a pair up for me for less than 1/3 of what I paid for the gun itself?

I'd also be interested in recommendations on a place I could get any style grip for the Mustang if I could also get exact duplicates for my 1911 as well--both with the medallion as well, of course.

You can also try getagrip.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a pair of Colt Mustang-Pocketlite double diamond, w/border, walnut checkered grips without medallions from Altamont Company out of Thomasboro, IL. Item Number on the packing slip, CM-CP05-CO1, paid $31.00 plus $6.10 shipping. These grips are not shown on their website, so you might call and give them the model number. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I finally managed to get my stainless trigger into my Mustang. That's one big step closer to perfection.

Still not having much luck finding grips, but I did learn that, while they never made checkered walnuts for the Mustang, they did for the .380 Government:
Colt Firearms Factory 380 Government Grips | eBay

So my question is...is there any reason I couldn't get a pair like this and just trim off the bottoms and recut the screw hole? The Mustang grip is basically identical after all, excepting a bit of extra length, correct?

Another question: They apparently never made stainless steel grip screws for the Mustang either. Could I just get some stainless 1911 grip screws and trim them to length also?

·
Premium Member
21,835 Posts
Tony, I really like the Buffalo Bone grips. They are harder and more durable than ivory, but can give the same appearance if 'good, smooth' bone is chosen. The main drawback is that some of the Buffalo Bone grips exhibit the porous core when viewed from the bottom. One Asian Company has solved that problem by scraping out that core and filling it with an off-white filled polymer that is not porous.
Unfortunately, another of the Asian companies seems to be grinding up the Buffalo Bone and adding polymer to it and casting/molding it into a 'softer' material that is much like what has been made in this country for years by adding Ivory powder to a polymer for making 'faux Ivory' grips.
In both cases, the "faux grips" exhibit no texture like original Buffalo bone or like Ivory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, they weren't quite what I was after, but I lucked across these factory 150th anniversary grips from a First Edition Mustang and decided to go with them. Maybe I'll keep looking or I'll swap the 1911s for a matching pair, but I think I like this just fine for now:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick return to this thread to show off these, in case anyone ever finds themselves in the same obscure situation:

Turns out the only person making Mustang grips that are a remotely close match to the classic Colt checkered walnut is a Thai ebay seller going by "jaruwan." They are just a tad redder and a tad shinier than my Colt walnuts, but otherwise they are a perfect match. I might even try to restain them. They were just $25 with free shipping. They are quite a bit thinner than Colt factory grips too. Make the whole gun feel better than any other grips I've tried. Highly, highly recommended to any Mustang owners out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.