Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local gunshop has a 1911A1 with a colt marked slide. The frame has nothing except a serial number above the right grip in the 16xxx range. Assume this is a third party frame. The whole gun is parkerized and the slide and frame finish match. Do third party frames have to be marked as to mfr?
Sorry No pics.

thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are a couple pics. The shop owner is wanting to record this in his books, but doesn't know what mfr to list. ANy help appreciated. Sorry about the duplicate pic.
IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1442.JPG

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
That's not a 1911A1...it's a 1911 with some A1 upgrades. It doesn't have the finger cuts behind the trigger. More than likely it's a Colt lower with some upgraded parts of who knows what manufacture and a parkerized refinish.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Here are a couple pics. The shop owner is wanting to record this in his books, but doesn't know what mfr to list. ANy help appreciated. Sorry about the duplicate pic.
View attachment 446153
The pistol, when original in 1912, started out looking like the gun I show here below. The gun shop's pistol is a mixture of later parts and the finish is something done while in private hands after it left the military. The style of finish is modern, and considering the deep pitting under the grip on the left side, I'm pretty sure that receiver laid somewhere neglected for perhaps decades. The upper was probably also badly pitted, so someone built this up with other parts and put some fresh lipstick on it. Thanks for providing the images.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks. The gunshop guy will be at a lost as to pricing. I am not interested in it myself, but what would be a fair pricing range to him and the customer. He has $1150 on it now.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Just curious, are there any markings on the Barrel? If it happened to have the original barrel in the 16,xxx range, a 1912 barrel might be more valuable than the rest of the gun.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
112 Posts
I paid less for my original Colt from 1918 and for my remington rand rand from 1945 on what he is asking. Stay. Best I would offer is $500.
Agreed.

That's not a 1911A1...it's a 1911 with some A1 upgrades. It doesn't have the finger cuts behind the trigger. More than likely it's a Colt lower with some upgraded parts of who knows what manufacture and a parkerized refinish.
Agreed

Local gunshop has a 1911A1 with a colt marked slide. The frame has nothing except a serial number above the right grip in the 16xxx range. Assume this is a third party frame. The whole gun is parkerized and the slide and frame finish match. Do third party frames have to be marked as to mfr?
Sorry No pics.

thanks
Charlie
Charlie,
There are definitely a mixed bag of parts attached to that frame - the hammer spur, for instance, is not original, the backstrap (sorry, can't think of the real name for this part) is not original issue, the magazine does not have a lanyard loop... So on. It's also almost definitely refinished, though I know I'm not qualified to give that opinion, and it could just be the lighting in the photos. It appears from the right side that extra care was taken in refinishing around the serial number, but not around the trigger well or slide rail. In all, I'd say this is a $500ish gun, with more value if it's got an original 1912 barrel marked H.

Best,
O_E

//Edit - removed what I've been corrected on. Thanks! I take every opportunity to expand my own knowledge. - Edit\\

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
As stated before, it is a Colt M1911 military receiver. The serial number and prefix has not been altered when it was refinished. Commercial Government Model pistols have a C prefix. The absence of the USP has nothing to do with it being commercial. Both the USP and the WGP final inspection were removed when it was buffed.

There were no 1912 barrels marked H over P.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
So what would be marked on a 1912 bbl?
crsides,

Most likely, one of these two. (Although, there is that very rare 1st style/version[1st few/several hundred],---that is unmarked. Very few agree on it's characteristics!??)

1st two,---Horizontal "H" with serifs. 2nd two,---Vertical "H" sans serifs. (16079 should have shipped with a Vertical "H" sans serifs.)

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, you guys are a fountain of information. I tell anyone that asks about Colt weapons to check on the Colt Forum. If they don't know the answer, no one will!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts