1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question...
recent discussions(s) regarding the parts origin, manufacture, and overall
Colt-ness and perceived quality
of the new Cobra got my attention. Where once upon a time I thought I knew my way around contemporary Colt handguns, maybe not so much anymore.
So...I am in the market for a 10mm and have a 1911 Delta model in the crosshairs. What will I be buying??? Forged, milled components? MIM outsourced parts? Maybe a Ruger would be a better choice? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
The frame and slide are forged unless something drastic has changed. I'm sure there might be some MIM internal parts...pretty much all gunmakers do that now. I wouldn't worry about quality...the Delta is as good as it gets. The 1911's Colt makes now may be better than any they've ever made...CNC machines build them to tolerances only dreamed about in the past. They may not have the deep blue finish of the old days but performance speaks for itself.

I have two Deltas and recently sold a different one. I have no complaints about any beyond I prefer an arched mainspring housing rather than flat. They're accurate and will do anything you need from them.

Ruger? Bite your tongue and go sit in the corner! :p

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
They are nice although my Colt is a 1990 Delta Gold Cup. Recently bought a Ruger and they are nice in the $700-800 area. If you want to spend more money on a 10mm then Dan Wesson makes nice ones in the $1.5k plus area.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I love my Delta and it is not the newer model. It shoots awesome and I shoot the heck out of it when I am not shooting my SAA's. It is one of my favorite carry guns and I keep it next to my lazy boy cocked and locked. You should love it. It shoots just a bit different than a .45, but nothing unmanageable at all. It hits hard, is accurate and a fine reasonably priced Colt.

Here are a couple photos of mine

Colt 10mm L .jpg Colt Delta 1.5 M.jpg

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I love my older Delta too. Mine is a Gold Cup with adjustable sights. I love the way it "Booms" like a 41 Mag yet handles like a 1911. Colts do not have a ramped barrel like a Springfield or a Dan Wesson. I have never thought it has been a problem though and I shoot my Delta at near maximum loads.

Colt Delta Gold Cup A.jpg

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have one of those, "love-hate" situations with the Delta Gold Cup 10 mm....I'd LOVE to have one,...and I HATE that I walked away from one at $1100 bucks last year.

Got a mile down the road from the shop and realized what I had done. When I got back to the shop the new owner was finishing up the paper work.
He WAS kind enough to let me hold it a minute or two. Dang !

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My blued DE has all forged internals it was made in 1989. It was tuned by Wilson Combat circa 1990.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
I've had several Delta elite's as well as an Auto Ordnance 10mm. The first one was the Auto Ordnance, a West Hurley pistol and it had some things more to be desired, but I can still remember my first shot: Awesome! Need cash to let it go.
Fast forward a few years and I bought a stainless Delta, had it and shot it awhile but sold it back to, or traded it back to the person I got it from.
Then I acquired a real nice blued Delta Elite, and I bought all kinds of accessories for it, but ended up needing cash again and had to let it go. I pretty much broke even on that one.
Now we have a blued Delta, my brother's Colt, that we bought through the Forum here.

And I agree that the ramped barrel issue is overrated. While it helps it will not prevent a rupture, because the case is the weak link. I'd be more concerned with blowing up the .40 then a 10mm because the 40 has little room for error as in bullet set back or loading too short.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
And I agree that the ramped barrel issue is overrated. While it helps it will not prevent a rupture, because the case is the weak link. I'd be more concerned with blowing up the .40 then a 10mm because the 40 has little room for error as in bullet set back or loading too short.

While I'm far from an engineer, I feel like I have to agree with that. Problems with a Delta regarding the lack of a ramped barrel are more likely due to someone making excessive pressure homebrew handloads...which could cause problems in fully supported chambered barrels as well. While we might and do express our complaints and criticisms of Colt here, Colt is not in the business of making unsafe products...especially with ammunition that meets industry standards of pressure. Their lawyers probably make sure the manuals included with Colt handguns specific use only factory new ammunition that meets and doesn't exceed standard pressure ratings.

Ramped barrels with fully supported chambers...while nice and theoretically safer...are more of an advertising point than a real issue in the real world. If someone wats to run supercharged 10mm rounds...then yes...get a pistol with a fully supported chamber. Other than the early frame cracking issues, I've not heard of a problem with any Colt Deltas and thirty years of service for the Delta seems to justify Colt's design.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My delta is a hoot to shoot. Functions flawlessly and has not trouble sending whatever I feed it down the barrel. I have debated the question of ramped barrel, but at $550 it just isn't worth it to me when the factory barrel has shown no issues at all with factory loads.

If you plan on trying to push the envelope with what some call nuclear loads...maybe a ramped barrel will help, but at the same time, I can buy a lot of 10mm ammo or reload a lot of 10mm ammo for $550.

Again, the Delta is an amazing firearm to shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts