Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

There is this 1913 built 1911 for sale locally here in Switzerland. Those very old 1911 don’t come up for sale often in my country, so I will take a look at it.

Photos are not great, but I will have a chance to see it in person next week I think.

Asking price is $2500 but it’s negotiable. The cheapest 1911 A1 go for $2000 here nowadays.

I am not sure if the finish is gone and it’s in the white or if it’s too much lightning and reflection from some indoor lightning.

Edit, seller tells me the finish is pretty much gone.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Not a bad looking 1911 but as JohnnyP posted it sure looks like some one scrubbed the finish off.
I think this Colt may have developed some rust and somebody not knowing any better rubbed it off, when soaking in oil is the best, well the only thing to do.
The magazine might be worth a few bucks alone.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This gun received a vinegar dip (or similar acid bath) while the hammer was removed. Or, the hammer was replaced at a later date than the dip.

As for value? The stripped finish would seriously diminish value here in the US, by 50% or more to most collectors. I suspect the same principle applies in Switzerland.

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
Just me, but way to high if the photos are showing the finish (or lack of finish) correctly. Even if you got it cheap enough to refinish the scratches from removing the finish would have to be smoothed out or they would show.

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
If I am reading the serial number correctly, No. 56344, that is a November 25, 1913 shipped Colt. According to Clawson the "Keyhole" magazine was discontinued about mid 1913 in the 40,000 serial number range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts