Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently traded for a commercial 1911. The gun came with a Colt letter stating the date of shipment as May 13, 1931. The gun is all original with very little wear. I've been a Smith & Wesson collector and am not familiar with current colt values. Can anyone give me an idea of the value of my gun?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum.
Most of us also have S&Ws

Since I'm sure somebody else will mention it, the commercial model is called the Government Model. The military models were called the M-1911 and the later M-1911A1.

As six mentioned, you won't get much of an idea of the value without good detailed pictures. I know it's the same response on the S&W Forum. It's not so much that we are hard up for pictures, just that it's folly to appraise the value of a gun long distance without good pictures of it. Nothing replaces a hands on inspection, though.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I recently traded for a commercial 1911. The gun came with a Colt letter stating the date of shipment as May 13, 1931. The gun is all original with very little wear. I've been a Smith & Wesson collector and am not familiar with current colt values. Can anyone give me an idea of the value of my gun?
Thanks

We need images, good, clear, well lit, ones and close ups.

Also, images of details once field stripped.

There are many re-finished old Government Models, with replacement Barrels, wrong parts, etc, and, of course, their Value will be effected in comparison to one which is 'Original', and, condition of course matters greatly also.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum.
Most of us also have S&Ws

Since I'm sure somebody else will mention it, the commercial model is called the Government Model. The military models were called the M-1911 and the later M-1911A1.

As six mentioned, you won't get much of an idea of the value without good detailed pictures. I know it's the same response on the S&W Forum. It's not so much that we are hard up for pictures, just that it's folly to appraise the value of a gun long distance without good pictures of it. Nothing replaces a hands on inspection, though.
Years ago I went to see a Colt SAA described in "almost new" condition. When I got there the pistol might have had 10% original blue and no casehardening. When I questioned his original description I was told "well, almost new for it's age".

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
is it just me or do the markings on the right side of slide look a little soft, as in refinish. Look at the edge at the side to top transition. if so maybe $700 to $800 in my part of the country. In person if it looks good and does not appear to be refinished $1500 to $1700 around here.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Looks like an honest piece to me. Granted, w/o the opportunity to observe first-hand, it could possibly have been given a rub-down with 0000 steel or bronze wool. Even if it has, I'd tend to value it higher in the $1,500-$2,000 range and if it hasn't, then $500 higher. The magazine alone, if the correct commercial version with "COLT .45 AUTO" on the baseplate is a $150-$200 item.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.