Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a set of rubber grips at a gun show. They're a one piece wrap around. They are sporting gold colored colt medalians. The colt emblems pass through the grip panel and the inside is flayed outward as though a conical point had been driven into the middle to sort of rivet them in place. Are these genuine colt products? There are no markings of any kind on the inside of the panels. I suspect they were "made up" by persons unknown. Am I right or did I luck out and get a bargain?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sounds to me like some of the stuff that 'Nutmeg Sports' was selling sometime back, he used to run the Colt Custom shop and had lots of different models of grips available.
The backs of those grips had that large flaired look to the staking or rivet , whatever it is. Both the wood AND the rubber grips..........

·
Registered
490 Posts
Also don't forget with out seeing it could be the grips Colt use to supply on there Enhanced MKIV series 80 guns.Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I'm one of those dinosaurs who doesn't own a digicam...YET. I only gave $15 for the grips. I was planning on putting them on an old project gun I've been working on for a long time.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
In my nomenclature crusade, I have to say that Colt calls the thingies that go on the handles "stocks," (except for about two years in the early 1970s when some new guy put the word "grips" in the catalogs - he has never been seen since). I then have to say that these stocks are commercial Governmemt Model stocks, not military Model 1911 stocks.

Now that that compulsion is out of the way (I feel better now!), I will say that these Pachmayr stocks with the Colt medallions were sold by the Colt Custom Shop in the 1980s or there abouts as accessories. I have several sets. Mine are all "checkered" like those pictured, and but I think the Delta Elite MAY have had pebble-grain rubber stocks. Maybe some others too, but I am not up much on this "new" stuff.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stand corrected. An old colt guy like me should have known better. The ones I bought are the pebbled finish, and I think they'll look good on my project.

·
Registered
32 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
In my nomenclature crusade, I have to say that Colt calls the thingies that go on the handles "stocks," (except for about two years in the early 1970s when some new guy put the word "grips" in the catalogs - he has never been seen since).

[/ QUOTE ]

Judge, word around the campfire is that you were seen in the immediate vicinity when the gentleman...um...disappeared. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

On a serious note, I have two sets of the "pebbled" variety that came from the factory on my Series 80 Government Model and Series 80 Combat Commander made in the late '80s and early '90s. They have since been replaced with wood stocks, I might add.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts