Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get an approximate value for a 1911 .45 magazine, 2-toned, moderate wear, with the "keyhole" on the back ??

Thanks,
B50

Reactions: 1563621

·
Registered
179 Posts
early colts, 1912-13 was having a cracking problem on mags. Came up with a fix on about 25K mags. Slice and put hole in rear of mag [as pictured] Because they are rare, Mucho dinero per mag. Even rarer are the full base plate where sides of mag end at plate and base plate is under side. I have seen them at 1K per mag. SA mags with loop 325 all day long and w/o loop with folded lips 500+ all day long. Will post some pics of my meager collection after I shovel the latest snow!

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
The cracking occurred on the back of the magazines in the area indicated in the photo. Colt was having a hard time getting their tempering correct on the magazines, and the cutout in the "Keyhole" magazine gave more spring to this area prone to cracking because of the sharp angle. This area was ground by hand, and some magazines had a sharper less rounded corner.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hey, that's interesting! Using a hole is certainly one tried and true way of stopping a crack.

I'm still drinking in this new information about vintage 1911 magazines. And the value! Holy cow!

The history of firearms metallurgy is just so fascinating. Just to even know about some of this. Most people probably have no idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.