Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So only one thing is keeping me from pulling the trigger (totally unintentional pun) on a new 1911 is the finish. I can't decide between a Blued Series 70 or a Stainless Series 70. I absolutely love stainless guns however the blued 1911 looks more like the stereo-typical "classic" 1911. I've been picturing the stainless model with either original grips or pearl grips with the silver medallions. If I got a blued 1911, I would probably put the aged "yellowish" faux ivory grips with silver medallions on it.

I know the original 1911s were blued. When did Colt start making the Stainless 1911's? I know people claim AMT made the first stainless 1911, The Hardballer, but after all it was a clone of the original series 70 right?

Which do you guys consider to be the more "classic" looking configuration? Which would you prefer to own?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Colt made a Series 70 Combat Commander (all steel version) in satin nickle between 1971 and 1980. I have one manufactured in 1972. This is another option, but they are rather scarce.

Reactions: broncodude

·
Registered
22 Posts
What will be the primary use of the gun ? If you're just using it as a range gun, blue should be fine . If you are going to carry it or shoot IDPA or another activity where the gun will be subject to sweat or the elements or frequent draws from a holster , IMO you are better off with stainless.
Joe

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd have to say blue if your going with the range gun...I have one myself and it's a beauty...Now if your talking about a working gun to be carried, the SS is hard to beat...low maintenance. There are beauty queens then there are the ones you marry :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you opt for pearl grips, use them only for display not for shootingIf you use them on your pistol to shoot, they will most likely crack.Took me 2 pair to finally believe itIvory is far more practical and is probably the best of all grip materials, at least IMHO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts