Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
The GV serial# prefix is of recent manufacture. The pistol looks to be the "1911 Classic".
A previous owner has replaced the grips and grip screws and maybe the slide stop? The slide stop doesn't look OEM from Colt and it was originally shipped with double diamond checkered stocks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice pistol, to enjoy at the range.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Considering the scarcity of Colts that are actually on the shelves for sale at gun shops, that isn't a bad price. That it's a Series 70 is a point in its favor, even if it is a later manufacture. Another point in its favor is that you wouldn't have to pay shipping costs! But those grips would have to go if I bought it. Those screws just look wrong. I have several pair of grips in a drawer that'd look way better than those.

And maybe it's just me, or the angle of the photo, but those screws look as if they stick up above the surface of the grips.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
The grip medallions are "Thunder Ranch". If you don't know what Thunder Ranch is, google it. I'm inclined to think that those grips cost about 2K if the previous owner took the course.....

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I don’t like the look of that slide stop,either. I’ve never encountered a problem with a real Colt one,which makes me wonder if other things have been changed out which may not have needed changing. Pete

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Considering the scarcity of Colts that are actually on the shelves for sale at gun shops, that isn't a bad price. That it's a Series 70 is a point in its favor, even if it is a later manufacture. Another point in its favor is that you wouldn't have to pay shipping costs! But those grips would have to go if I bought it. Those screws just look wrong. I have several pair of grips in a drawer that'd look way better than those.

And maybe it's just me, or the angle of the photo, but those screws look as if they stick up above the surface of the grips.
Yes, the grips screws look very odd... like something Bubba would have come up with. The slide stop is just as strange.

I know what the Thunder Ranch is, but I still think the original double-diamond grips would look much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts