Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pair of "sweetheart" grips at a local estate auction. I don't know much about them, but the WWII story and the current condition got me bidding. Any info about these as well as a possible value would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

John
Wedding and 1911 grips 068.jpg Wedding and 1911 grips 069.jpg Wedding and 1911 grips 070.jpg Wedding and 1911 grips 071.jpg

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for posting those photos. I have collected a few dozen sweetheart trench knives from the WW2 era, this is the first time I have seen "sweetheart" gun grips. Theater-made usually from downed aircraft parts. These are to be treasured. Regarding price, man, that's a questions for the Big Militaria cats who trade in gun stuff. If you send me a PM I can give you a few names. Nice piece and find, sir!

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
I really enjoy seeing these...it is interesting how some Soldiers would elect to personalize their Side Arm in this way.

One sometimes sees German versions of these also of course.

I have not seen any Japanese versions of these from WWII, but I am sure the also exist.

I was lucky to stumble on a pair for the S & W m1917 Revolver, which someone had presumably carried and been issued in WWII.

There should be some out there from WWII re-issue Colt m1917s, also.

I have been wanting to make some of my own, but have not gotten the Plexiglass/Lucite/Perspex to do so yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweetheart grips

Thanks for posting those photos. I have collected a few dozen sweetheart trench knives from the WW2 era, this is the first time I have seen "sweetheart" gun grips. Theater-made usually from downed aircraft parts. These are to be treasured. Regarding price, man, that's a questions for the Big Militaria cats who trade in gun stuff. If you send me a PM I can give you a few names. Nice piece and find, sir!
I only have two posts. Guess I cannot send PM until I have 5 posts. Thank you very much for your response. I was starting to think that I wasn't going to get any.

Thank you again,
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the reply. Have any clue where I may find some kind of value for these?

Thank you again,
John

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
It mostly started in the forties when troops in the military fashioned pieces of clear plastic into stocks. They would use these to cover photos of their 'sweethearts' back home to remind them of who they were fighting for. Many times they found their way onto Colt Government .45's and other weapons.

Great finds guys! :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really enjoy seeing these...it is interesting how some Soldiers would elect to personalize their Side Arm in this way.

One sometimes sees German versions of these also of course.

I have not seen any Japanese versions of these from WWII, but I am sure the also exist.

I was lucky to stumble on a pair for the S & W m1917 Revolver, which someone had presumably carried and been issued in WWII.

There should be some out there from WWII re-issue Colt m1917s, also.

I have been wanting to make some of my own, but have not gotten the Plexiglass/Lucite/Perspex to do so yet.
Thank you for your reply. Any idea where I could find a value for these grips?

Thank you again,
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It mostly started in the forties when troops in the military fashioned pieces of clear plastic into stocks. They would use these to cover photos of their 'sweethearts' back home to remind them of who they were fighting for. Many times they found their way onto Colt Government .45's and other weapons.

Great finds guys! :cool:
Thank you for the response. Any idea where I could find a value?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've seen two pistols with these grips in the last six months, and both were Nambus. One featured a geisha, and the other, oddly, a blonde pin-up girl. They were definitely period pieces and unfortunately not for sale.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thank you for the response. Any idea where I could find a value?
These don't come around often and probably would fall under the folk art/military collectibles category, so there's not much to go on. They are highly personalized items so I would believe as a fair market item they would sell at whatever the buyer is willing to pay in the given venue. Try looking on GB or some other auction site, and especially check past sales.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Since they would be easy to recreate with vintage photos I think value would be minimal. That being said some people are more emotional and nostalgic than others and may just have to own them.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
These also exist as 'Naughty Lady' grips and were popular.

Also they were known to have been produced by German POWs after the War, in exchange for cigarettes.

Personalized grips of this style have been popular since WWI, when they could be fashioned from downed aircraft wood and celluloid - progressing to WWII and Plexiglas.

POWs could fashion all manner of interesting carvings for their captors - I've seen, handled and owned hundreds - but no one I know has ever figured out a way to affix a value to much of it, beyond how it appeals as a folk art item, or its association with a particular outfit.

After WWII, the practice seems to've died out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Love the patination of the 1911's grips. I have several knives as depicted, mostly Cattaragus or PAL blades, (very) rarely KABAR.

I collect Sweetheart grips and knives as part of my US handgun collection. I have paid between $25 and $100 for a pair. Here is a nice yellow set and a theater made sweetheart knife.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts