Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been shooting 1911's since the late 70's. Since then I've used all combinations of trigger lengths. I spent a lot of money installing long triggers before I realized that I don't have a preference between short, mid or long triggers. The one thing I can't tolerate is a flat face trigger with sharp sides. Is there a method for determining which length is better for one's hand geometry rather than just feel? Thanks for your thoughts on this "pressing" matter.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I have read that the correct length places the pad of the trigger finger directly on the face of the trigger. In other words the pad / last section of the trigger finger should be parallel to the trigger face so that trigger can be pressed straight back into the gun.

For my fingers the long trigger is best.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My hand likes a flat MSH and long trigger, but that is my hand. It is nice if new shooters can try different ones either by renting or maybe shooting buddies.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
We know that the original 1911 had a long smooth trigger which was eventually determined to be too long.
Then the short M1911A1 trigger was introduced.
Then somewhere along the way the NM trigger was introduced.

For me my favorite trigger is the M1911 type, but the actual 1911 trigger is a bit to long for my preference. The trigger Colt used in their 1911 commemoratives and then in the Combat Government Model, Combat Elite, Delta Elite is what I prefer, as it is a bit shorter then the original.

John Harrison makes a medium length smooth faced trigger that is almost exactly the same length as the Colt Elite trigger.

The short length A1 trigger is too short for me, but some like them.

The NM length is too long for me.

I try to keep my Colt pistols similar as far a the trigger goes, so my guns have either the Colt Elite or Harrison triggers in them.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,654 Posts
Option of the trigger and mainspring housing are purely a matter of personal feel. Not everyone wears the same size shoes.

I prefer the short trigger and arched mainspring housing because they feel "right" to me.

I'm not sure why 1911 owners and gun makers have decided the 1911 should have a flat housing.
I suspect it's a feedback loop of makers thinking the customer wants a flat housing, and the customer thinking there must be a reason for it because most guns come with a flat housing,

·
Registered
506 Posts
Since each of us has different shaped and sized hands, I would say that perhaps the best idea would be to mount the trigger that is most comfortable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Never liked a short trigger. I had to change my Commander to a medium. Although most of my colts are earlier Gold Cups my favorite factory trigger is the long smooth John Browning trigger on my 1982 Combat Gvmt.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have large/xl hands and eight Gov't/Commanders/1911A1s. I grip each one the same, tucked into the web of the hand, in line with my forearm. For me and my hold I find a flat mainspring housing with a short trigger fits best. Your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Never liked a short trigger. I had to change my Commander to a medium. Although most of my colts are earlier Gold Cups my favorite factory trigger is the long smooth John Browning trigger on my 1982 Combat Gvmt.

I turned my Series 70 into a Combat Government clone:

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I had the article my Massad Ayoob on the Colt Combat Government but seem to have misplaced it. I had made some copies and uploaded them to Photobucket, but I'm not sure if I retrieved all of it.

A friend bought a used CGM, so I knew what to do. I used the King's Hardball Sights. Most of the parts in my old S 70 are original. Its been changed somewhat over the years but basically the same gun. Both of my Series 70 Colt's, the other a .38 Super were thin at the dust cover and cracked there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That sounds like a good build. The Combat Gvmt was also my first 1911 bought new in '82 for $399. while living in Cali for only 4 years. Massad Ayoob is the man, he sure has a lot of real life history behind him. I've always devoured everything I could that he wrote.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have always loved the feel of the wider, longer Gold Cup trigger and I fitted them to several of my first 1911s. My oldest son has my first 3.5" 1911, an Officer's ACP that is fitted with a Gold Cup trigger and my youngest son has my 3.5" 1991-A1 that is also fitted with a Gold Cup trigger My first USPSA competition 1911 I built is a single stack Caspian slide and frame and it also has a Gold Cup style trigger in it.

I've since gotten away from putting the wide triggers in my guns (there's a lot of work involved) and now I use standard width long triggers in everything and even prefer the long flat triggers in my competition guns. I've always preferred the flat mainspring housing in my full size 1911's but I prefer the arched housing in the shorter grip frame 3.5" guns. After 40 years of shooting 1911s I've pretty much figured out what works best for my hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts