Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
What’s the bore look like? Overall thing looks great.

Reactions: BradB

·
Registered
802 Posts
I do love old guns! Congrats on a fine specimen.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thank you Scott. My 555,90x would not be a Black Army?
If original finish, yes, it would. Anything after 303xxx is most likely a version of "black army". There were changes throughout the late production (after 303xxx) up to roughly 400xxx, which resulted in slightly rougher surfaces and less detailed polishing. But 555xxx would definitely have had a rougher polish, more matte finish and crude grip tang and heart-shaped cutouts.

I examined an early black army in the 303xxx range years ago in KC at an MVACA show, but the gun was simply not good enough to purchase at the price being asked.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Zorros,

Here's another "Black Army", that appears all Original, in the No 466XXX range with a decent amount of the "black" finish remaining.

Sometimes it is difficult to get a good picture of the final metal sanding. This picture shows a fair example of the sanding (in this range). ?

BTW, this one has Stocks that are similar to yours,...15 row on the left and 13 row on the right.

Best Regards,

IMG_2876 (2)-2.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
Zorros,

Here's another "Black Army", that appears all Original, in the No 466XXX range with a decent amount of the "black" finish remaining.

Sometimes it is difficult to get a good picture of the final metal sanding. This picture shows a fair example of the sanding (in this range). ?

BTW, this one has Stocks that are similar to yours,...15 row on the left and 13 row on the right.

Best Regards,

View attachment 737206
Thank you for sharing, Stan. Its a nice pistol. Noticed mine has the govt prop mking on the right side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts