Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents (and/or Ladies),

Waiting on the arrival of a NIB 1911 WW1 Repro. Am getting "back into" 1911's after a serious buying spree of S&W's and this one is the one I chose to get first. My question is to those who own them. Or want to own them...Or just want to sound off and continue a discussion.

How are they working for you? And...is anyone using this as a daily carry or "nightstand" gun? I manage several retail outlets and usually there is a backpack under my counter carrying my piece de jour. Mainly I pack either various models of S&W .38 snubs and .357 4"'ers or a 1954 .38 H/D 4". Have CCW permit in TX but don't always pack on person. Backpack however is always in vehicle or in store I am at for the day. (it has a quick detach back with a built in velcro inner holster and is slicker than penquin poop to get to) .

Wanted to upgun to the .45 for a while but I definately prefer the old school in both appearance and function. Have had several 1911's in the past (oddly enough Kimbers and Springfields but no Colt's) but what are the groups opinion of the one above for the role as specified? Seems like if it was good enough to survive WW1 (and WW2 for that matter) and generate the reputation it did then it ought to be more than adequate for the specified role. But what do you think?

Let em rip.

Tim

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
You asked for it so here goes!

Why buy a collector's item as a "using" gun? The WWI M1911 repros were created as collector's items, but, of course, are functional as firearms, and can be used for traditional roles, such as defense, either as a carry gun or house gun. The question is not can they, but should they?

Why spend the extra money for the "collector" character of the WWI M1911 when the same (or better if you prefer M1911A1 features) functionality can be secured in a standard production stainless Colt for less money? To me, a stainless gun is a preferable "user" gun over a blue gun anyway, and I would buy a current stainless Colt for use instead of the WWI repro. Keep the WWI repro to remind you where the line originalted.

In the alternative, buy a real M1911 with some character wear and carry it instead.

My $.02. Next.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judge,

Thanks for the reply. Might have added on the original post that I got the WW1 for under $750.00 shipped NIB. That puts it squarely in the "user" catagory in my book (and I am way more of a shooter than a collector, or rather a collector of shooters /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Like you said, and I am paraphrasing, the functionality is the functionality of any gun and that, along with the "old school charm" was the reason I chose this one. Will get a lot more use at the range than as a carry piece but I don't think I am going to lose sleep over packing this in my pack.

There will be other 1911's coming my way (just like the look of the .38 Super in bright stainless) but the bag I use for carry is in essence, a large gun rug. So no real wear like side carry in leather or Kydex should accrue.

I did ask to let em rip and thanks for the response. Others?

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
What you paid for the gun is irrelevant to the fact that the gun was produced as a "collectors item" and not as a "shooter," even though of course it will shoot. Using that rationale, I should use my long-dead grandfather's D Grade Parker as a truck gun since it did not cost me anything, whereas my Mossberg M500 I bought at Woolco 35 years ago as a truck gun cost me $70.

I still say find something else to use as a "using" gun. Cost is irrelevant.

·
Registered
574 Posts
What do I think?
I think that collector gun, shooter gun, or whatever, once you pay for it, it becomes YOUR gun and you should use it for whatever you sweet please. But while you point out these pistols survived the wars, I've yet to see one that couldn't be improved by some pistolsmithing, particularly a trigger job and on the older ones, better sights.

As for bright stainless Super .38s, I think every aspiring pimp should have one. Here's mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Biblio,

Gracias Amigo, nice Dillon 1930's style rig there as well. Just pouring gas on the fire eh? Was playing with one of these with fixed sites last night and added to the "gonna get" list. Nice to see you here too, I am .357magger on the S&W side. Got interested in the .38 Super when I was doing some reading recently about Baby Face Nelson and his penchant for the Super and its ability to get deep into the innards of 1930's cars. A number of the eras bandititos were fond of this round for that reason and down here close to the border it has a certain following with Gringos and the Federales alike. I have been told that this is due to restrictions in Mexico on "military calibers" but do not know if that is the reason or if it just great longer range ballistics. You see some pretty fancy carved and plated jobs down here from time to time, both current and originals. And yeah, this one, after I receive it on Monday, may get some internal upgrades to improve functionality if needed.

Judge,

Thanks again for your opinions (cause I did ask) but there is a great deal of difference in my mind from using an ORIGINAL D grade Parker as a "truck gun" (which would normally mean one that will get banged and dinged) rather than the Mossberg, or a REPRODUCTION 1911 using modern metallurgy as a basis for a carry piece as opposed to an original 1911 NIB (which would be worth more than I want to think about) for the same purpose. So in my mind, cost does have relevance. In fact, I would not be suprised if my 1911 REPRO even ends up being nickeled and ivoried to replicate some the original 1930's "Auto Bandit" guns I have been studying about lately. Several I have seen or seen pics of started off as military models stolen from armories and then were personalized by the gangster(s) in question. This one will definately remind me of the "lineage", particulary when I shoot it often.

What originally started this train of thought off and "made" the purchase decision was a project gun by Larry Vickers that was profiled in one of the gun mags a while back. In that project he was preparing a 1911 for a services member who wanted a "meat and potato" 1911 but upgraded internally as a carry piece. Vickers used STI and Capsian components then rollmarked them as an original would be but this was before the repro became available. In this case, it made a lot more sense to just start with the original Colt toolings/rollmarks/etc. and then internally upgrade from there as needed. So in that instance, I am regarding a NIB $750.00 Colt platform as a bargain.

Anyone else chiming in? I was told that a member here (told by another member who had seen the posts) was using one of these as a daily carry but search of the topic did not reveal those posts. So...again...let em rip.

Tim

·
Registered
904 Posts
My friend shoots his but doesn't carry it. He's usually got a S&W 625 when not on school property. Always says something about leaving brass around...

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
The WWI repro has a number of plastic parts in it that I would replace pronto before I used it. Particular the trigger. Original 1911 long milled steel triggers aren't that hard to find and while occasionally collectors pay a lot more for them than they are worth, they usually can be had in the $25 to $40 range which isn't bad. They are a lot better than the plastic/nylon two piece variety the repro has. There is also a two piece steel variety that can be found which Colt used in the WWI battle commemorative series and also the late 70 series Combat Government and those are good and can be found. I suspect that the spring guide is also nylon or plastic and if so would look for a steel one of those. I'm not fond of nylon or plastic parts in guns especially when I'm beting my life on them. Since you have carried a 38-44 HD then you're aware of what carrying a high value, potential collector gun is all about. You own it, enjoy it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The WWI repro has a number of plastic parts in it that I would replace pronto before I used it. Particular the trigger. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

My WWI re-pro does not have a plastic trigger. It is steel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I shoot mine but do not carry it. It was made to shoot and I am not a collector.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hobie,Flint,Bill,

Thanks Gents. Not sure about the "plastic" parts either. The ones I have looked at prior to purchase had steel triggers but you can bet that will be one thing I look at first tomorrow when I pick it up.

Since Flint caught the part about the H/D I would like to mention that sweet puppy. Got recently here in Houston. 4" and letters from Smith to the Louisiana State Police in 1954. All matching, including grips and man, does that sucker shoot. With a 125 +p JHP it will easily outshoot me at any sane range (and some insane ones too). It was a nickel gun from the factory but the previous owner (I am a former LEO from Louisiana and am currently researching who got this one gun shipment to LSP from Smith) had it bright chromed some time in it's life. The job was really well done though and from carrying daily for 15 years I do understand why this finish was chosen. You can clean it almost completely with a rag soaked in Hoppes. Sorry to digress from the topic at hand but that shooter is one of my favorites due to it's history and it's shootability and I just wanted to brag a little.

Regarding the WW1 repro. Am receiving tomorrow (if FedEx's website is accurate) so will give a little range report later in the week when I wring her out a little. If any others want to chime in, please do.

Thanks again for the responses so far.

Tim

·
Registered
126 Posts
I fine that I enjoy my money spent on me is a lot more fun. With that in mind I (ME) hardly can wait to fire off any newly acquired gun . New or used . A new Colt SAA is very pricy for my funds, and the last one came with a memo that it had been made as a collector gun. The first one came with a test target. Both shoot about the same. I love beauty but I have always been too old to collect firearms. Maybe coffie mugs or something, but I use them too. What ever gun I can afford I shoot and carry at times. This or that rifle, this or that handgun.......Just my .02 ..........MUTT

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mutt,

I HEAR YA. Got it in on Monday, going to "crank" it out today. Will advise a range report sometime over the next couple of days. Have some hoarded variety of old and new .45 to put the pony through it's paces. Will advise and might even get a pic or two back as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gents,

Got "her" in and she is a beaut. Did not make the range as the better half had list of things for me to do prior to Turkey Day (bummer but I do have this bad habit called eating so...). Could not be more pleased with the appearence, fit and function of my example. Will still do the range report and pics in the coming week. THANKS to all sharing info. MUSTANG-Nice set of WW1ers going on there man.

Tim

·
Registered
40 Posts
JudgeColt: I find it a depressing thought that you are somehow ”morally forbidden” to shoot a brand new Colt firearm. I agree however that you can choose not to use a firearm because you want to collect rather than shoot.

It will be a sad day when the only guns leaving Colt is marked “This gun is not build to shoot – it is build for collection only”.

HardBaller: Best of luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing your new “toy” all pimped up.

Happy shooting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
JudgeColt: I find it a depressing thought that you are somehow ”morally forbidden” to shoot a brand new Colt firearm. I agree however that you can choose not to use a firearm because you want to collect rather than shoot.

It will be a sad day when the only guns leaving Colt is marked “This gun is not build to shoot – it is build for collection only”.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My WWI would not appreciate enough in my lifetime to make it a sensible investment. I cannot afford to have it be a "safe queen". In fact, I shot it yesterday and it's damn close to being the best of my herd. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Dane, you miss my point and must be easily depressed. The gun in question was built by Colt as a collector's item, even though it will of course shoot just like any other new Colt. Who would buy it if it were not a functional copy?

I just thought it illogical to buy a gun built as a collector's item to shoot and modify when there are better candidates for that use for the same or less money. It has nothing to do with a moral issue, and no gun will ever leave Colt with instructions not to shoot it. Colt has built commeratives for decades and the only ones that have retained their value are those that remain unfired and complete in their original packages. To shoot or not to shoot is the decision left to the owner, with only financial consequences, not moral ones.

To put the issue on a different level, what if instead of a current commerative Model 1911 the original poster was instead going to modify an original WWI Model 1911 in the same new condition, probably one of only a handful left in the world in such condition?

What if the owner of the Mona Lisa decided she should have a new hairdo or dress?

While it is a matter of degree, aren't the issues the same? Would you agree that the owner should do the modifications in either or both cases? Would it then be a moral issue at this level?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree with JudgeColt. If I were buying a new Colt 1911 type firearm for the purpose of strictly a shooter, it wouldn't be the WWI repro. They are beautiful firearms, but there is a reason Colt and other manufactureres have modified them since the 1920s. The 1911A1 had changes that the military and other felt were necessary. The WWI repro is made more for collector purposes. While they still make great shooters, if I were to modify a Colt for strictly shooting, this wouldn't be the one I would start with. There are better candidates at less money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts