Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do records exist indicating which 1911A1 service pistols were assigned to us navy ships, particularly during the viet nam war?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Possibly buried in the mountain of records of the U.S. government, but not in any accessible form.

The last shipment of Colts directly to the Navy was in 1942. The Ithaca shipping records show shipments directly to the Navy, but none exist for Remington Rand or US&S. The pistols were just distributed where they were needed.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I can guarantee you there were records at one time. One of my collateral roles in the Navy was the supply person for my division. Even minor equipment parts are well tracked and inventoried in the Navy NSN system. And the Gunners Mates kept the small arms serial numbers inventoried. All these WWII pistols were moved from ship to ship as one was decommissioned, usually every 10 years or so. They didn't just disappear from the Navy recording system. When they disposed of them to the DCM or wherever, I'm sure they tracked the serial numbers too, versus just throwing them in in a barrel for DRMO sale.

The NSN number for a 1911A1 is 1005-01-042-4113. But if those records still exist now, I do not know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Perhaps if you had a particular ship in mind, or if a ship is now in the situation where it is a memorial and has a museum associated with it some of this information could come to light? An armory would always have the list of serial numbers but whether these were kept long after decommissioning is questionable.

Wouldn't it be cool to have all of that info accessible.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Springfield Research Service searches the National Archives for records of U.S. military weapons, and if they haven't found them I see no hope of anyone else finding them. Seventy years and no one has found the Remington Rand or US&S records.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I seem to remember one collector here in washington st. that had a display of pistols attributed to certain battleships, and possible cruisers. I would that display at some WAC shows, but his name escapes me.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I seem to remember one collector here in washington st. that had a display of pistols attributed to certain battleships, and possible cruisers. I would that display at some WAC shows, but his name escapes me.
USSOKC,

Most likely, Mr. Holbrook.? (Collector Extraordinaire)

Best Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts