Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, simple question for guys who would know. I would like to know which 1911a1’s were blued and which were parked. All I know is early colts were blued. But what about Ithaca’s and RR’s? And what year did they switch to park.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I don't know which manufacturer did which but I believe wartime Colts were parked but some, if not most of the others used a process called "Du-Lite" which the government deemed acceptable. Add to that guns going through rebuilds being a mix of finishes or refinished completely and parked it's difficult to tell sometimes what's original and what isn't without being very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Colt M1911A1 pistols 700001-734xxx were blued. In mid-July 1941 they shipped the last blued A1s. The first Parkerized Colt shipped was in the 729xxx serial range, but I've never seen an original Parkerized Colt prior to serial range 735xxx. And I've never seen an original Blued Colt A1 AFTER 735000.

Remington Rand pistols were blued from the beginning of production in late 1942 at s/n 916405 all the way up into late 1943 at about 1016xxx, with a few pistols being Parkerized in that range beginning perhaps as early as late summer. The highest serial number blued Rem Rand I've examined is s/n 1018522. There are pistols with earlier serial numbers that are Parkerized, but I believe most of those were held back due to rejections and completed later, after Parkerizing was standardized.

Only the first Ithaca pistols were blued...beginning at 856405 and continuing up to about 890xxx +/-. Clawson's books say up to about 900000, but I do not recall seeing any original Du-Lite blue Ithacas that late. I've examined and own SEVERAL in the 89xxxx range and all that I recall were Perkerized.

All US&S production was blued 1041405-1096404...all 55K pistols.

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
As Scott noted, some of the Remington Rand serial numbers were held back. This example is in the Type II serial number range, but has all the features of a Type III including the slide marking, NO. serial number prefix, and phosphate finish. The serial number was applied after finish.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
As Scott noted, some of the Remington Rand serial numbers were held back. This example is in the Type II serial number range, but has all the features of a Type III including the slide marking, NO. serial number prefix, and phosphate finish. The serial number was applied after finish.

I just love that pistol. It's a great example of just what happened. A picture truly is worth a 1000 words.

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
I just love that pistol. It's a great example of just what happened. A picture truly is worth a 1000 words.
Another amazing thing about the pistol was that it was in a police sale of confiscated items. It could just as easily have been destroyed by court order.

All the wear patterns inside indicate completely original condition.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a good buddy that has two Remington rand's.
tried to get him t sell me one just wont do it.
I cant blame him!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I cant blame him!
I have two RR's also. One was so nice I didn't want to shoot it. I solved the problem by buying a second RR out of Alaska with little finish and it's my SASS wild bunch gun. I actually like it better than the high condition RR.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cant blame him!
hey dude, Im the guy that made the thread. I have a RR I’m selling. I’ve been told it’s original finish, about 90%. Serial is 1375xxx.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Colt M1911A1 pistols 700001-734xxx were blued. In mid-July 1941 they shipped the last blued A1s. The first Parkerized Colt shipped was in the 729xxx serial range, but I've never seen an original Parkerized Colt prior to serial range 735xxx. And I've never seen an original Blued Colt A1 AFTER 735000.

Remington Rand pistols were blued from the beginning of production in late 1942 at s/n 916405 all the way up into late 1943 at about 1016xxx, with a few pistols being Parkerized in that range beginning perhaps as early as late summer. The highest serial number blued Rem Rand I've examined is s/n 1018522. There are pistols with earlier serial numbers that are Parkerized, but I believe most of those were held back due to rejections and completed later, after Parkerizing was standardized.

Only the first Ithaca pistols were blued...beginning at 856405 and continuing up to about 890xxx +/-. Clawson's books say up to about 900000, but I do not recall seeing any original Du-Lite blue Ithacas that late. I've examined and own SEVERAL in the 89xxxx range and all that I recall were Perkerized.

All US&S production was blued 1041405-1096404...all 55K pistols.
:) I’m sure Scott didn’t mean to leave out the Singer M1911A1, of which all 500 were a polished Du-Lite blue. :)

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
A number of Singer 1911A1 pistols were delivered to the Army Air Corps at Hickam Field in Hawaii on Dec. 6, 1941.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I wish I could tell you...I read it and don't remember the book...maybe Clawson's which I sold a couple of years ago...maybe some book I still have. It stuck in my mind due to they were Singer made pistols and the date and destination.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts