24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

Just bought this one.

S/N 324323
Maching assembly numbers 763 N
Also marked "U" on frame and backstrap and "&" on rear right side triggerguard

Nickled, engraved with pearl stocks.
Stocks have initials R.K. scrached on the backside.

Hammer and trigger apparently not original.

Paid equivalent to little over 2000 USD for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmm.....this is wierd!!

Just called Colt Archive Dpt.
S/N 324323 pops up as a 1912 Bisley.

Could it have had the backstrap, trigger, triggerguard and hammer replaced, converting it into normal SAA configuration?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Think you might be right about the conversion cover. Believe the ampersand "&" indicates the gun has had a factory repair/rework....and that the 763N is a factory "refinish number". Will be interesting to see the thoughts of the more experienced collectors..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 763 N stamp is also vaguely visible (or at least the "7" and the "N")on the trigger guard under the left stock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
At $2000 you are a winner either way.

That ampersand and all those matching numbers defintely means a factory rework and yes it very well could have been converted from Bisley to single action with the change of the straps and barrel (I don't see a bisley model marking on it) and hammer though the hammer in it looks a little odd.

How exactly does it letter out?

The engraving looks to me to be done in the same style that was used during the 1912 period. Glahn (colt factory engraver) engraved guns from the 20's and 30's have a little different look to them than this one.

Went back and downloaded the pictures that you posted and I had overlooked the one with the frame number and lack of serial number on the triggerguard.

I need to find some examples to show you but that serial number stamped on the frame isn't the "normal" font style of number that you normally see in the 310,xxx to 339,xxx range. Usually the numbers in this range are kind of hard to read and they look "jumbled" meaning kind of a mix of odd big and slightly smaller different font numerals.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I need to find some examples to show you but that serial number stamped on the frame isn't the "normal" font style of number that you normally see in the 310,xxx to 339,xxx range. Usually the numbers in this range are kind of hard to read and they look "jumbled" meaning kind of a mix of odd big and slightly smaller different font numerals.
Here's a pic of a gun within the serial number range coltsixguns refers to...may or may not help.

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Good example mswill......here is a 330,000 range longflute that I owned......you'll notice that on these serial ranges the numbers appear to be larger and sometimes use a strange looking numeral font style. I've got some pictures of other guns in the range I mentioned but alas I didn't take pictures of the frame serials on them.

Here is a long flute

Here is your engraved piece.

Something else odd about the gun is that it has the low profile front sight. I've found that other than a 44-40 most colt single actions have high profile front sights by the serial range 311,xxx to 315,xxx. You'll see 44-40's with the "colt frontier six shooter 44-40" caliber markings and the smaller profile sight for a couple more years later than 1911. Since it's so close in number perhaps the barrel is correct or the factory used an older one that they found in a corner when it was sent back......it's defintely fun to try and figure out what happened 100 years ago.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will ask Colt Archive Dpt. for full information on Monday.

I stopped him as soon as he said Bisley.
Didn´t want to pay 150 dollars for a letter if it was a bogus gun.

What to make of the S/N fonts?
Is it just font variation within that production range or did they possibly restamp the S/N after rework/refinish?

You are right.....it is kind of exciting to try and figure out this odd case :)

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
I will ask Colt Archive Dpt. for full information on Monday.

I stopped him as soon as he said Bisley.
Didn´t want to pay 150 dollars for a letter if it was a bogus gun.

What to make of the S/N fonts?
Is it just font variation within that production range or did they possibly restamp the S/N after rework/refinish?

You are right.....it is kind of exciting to try and figure out this odd case :)
I believe the factory will confirm to you the original caliber and barrel length and finish and stocks if listed for free but if you want to know where or to whom it was shipped you have to pay.

Notice how nice and neat and uniform the numerals are on your gun? The numbers have a different look to them that what I see is the norm in that 324,xxx range.Compare to the picture mswill and I put up previously. The closest serial number to it that I've owned is 325,575 and alas, I owned it 29 years ago and there weren't digital cameras back in that day but it had a similar font as the 330,xxx and 339,xxx range guns.

Is there any serial number on the bottom of the butt? Looks like you can make out a trace of the remains of a serial number on the triggerguard to me.

Can you tell if there is a circle around the rampant colt on the frame?

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Would the saa backstrap mate up correctly to the Bisley frame?
I believe the frames are the same......it's the straps and grips and hammer and hammer spring and trigger and caliber marking that makes a Bisley model "different". :)

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there any serial number on the bottom of the butt? Looks like you can make out a trace of the remains of a serial number on the triggerguard to me.

Can you tell if there is a circle around the rampant colt on the frame?
There is no numbers on the butt (or under)

I can read only the last "3" and part of the last "2" from the triggerguard S/N.
Tracing paper and pencil produced no result.

The rampant Colt has no circle around it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would the saa backstrap mate up correctly to the Bisley frame?
Hmm...short answer: NO

The Bisley frame was 5/32 - 3/16 of an inch deeper at the rear flats, moving the grip up closer in line with the barrel.

So this revolver is either featuring an incorrect S/N or it has been subject to some crazy refitting........Or ....the Colt Archives are off on this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Hmm...short answer: NO

The Bisley frame was 5/32 - 3/16 of an inch deeper at the rear flats, moving the grip up closer in line with the barrel.

So this revolver is either featuring an incorrect S/N or it has been subject to some crazy refitting........Or ....the Colt Archives are off on this one.
Interesting......wish I had a Bisley in my safe currently. I never knew the frames were different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts