Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some more help. Trying to figure out what exactly I have. It is a 1914 New Service .45. After reading some it appears to be a commercial 1917 model in 45 colt. There are no markings on the bottom of the grip.
It has several proof marks on the barrel and frame. It has both the crown BV and crown BP marks. Does that mean it is only rated for black powder?

If it was British it be in .455 Eley, right? So could this be a Canadian gun? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Looks like a straight commercial New Service that was probably shipped to Colt's London Agency, or perhaps another retailer in England. The proof marks are from the Birmingham Proof House, not British military ones. If it was sent to Canada it would not have proof marks other than Colt's stamped at the factory before the gun was shipped. Of course, it could well have been bought by a British or Commonwealth officer and carried in the Great War. It looks like second "5" in ".455" was removed. If proofed in England each chamber should have a proof mark and yours does not. It looks like a .45 Colt cylinder was switched with the original .455 one.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,166 Posts
Your serial number New Service falls right in the range of many that were shipped to England for use in WWI. It appears that it was chambered in .455 Eley and later converted to .45 Colt as many were.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wow! Outstanding pictures.....looks like the barrel is not original, while the frame & cylinder look right.
There is a story here somewhere about the different barrel finish. ????

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Post us some images looking down in to the Cylinder Chambers.

And so we can see the rear face of the Cylinder, also.

Also, if possible, a close up of whatever little symbol ( "BP" maybe ) as is stamped in to each Cylinder Flute.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
If you enlarge the photo you can see the Crown/BP proofs in the two cylinder flutes that show. Barrel and cylinder are original.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Also, if possible, a close up of whatever little symbol ( "BP" maybe ) as is stamped in to each Cylinder Flute.
Will do. I will try to get those pics tonight.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
If you enlarge the photo you can see the Crown/BP proofs in the two cylinder flutes that show. Barrel and cylinder are original.

Thought so...but just wanted to see if that question could be made more clear via some close images.

Wondering too what was done to the Cylinder Bores in converting to .45 Colt...

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
The one I used to own was converted so as it would properly chamber and headspace both .455 and 45 colt. I would have preferred that the cylinder was just shaved for 45 colt because as a reloader, I can easily download 45 colt. These are still useful and powerful guns with history.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here are some pics. The only markings on the face of the cylinder I can see is a 2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts