Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 'hooks' is uncommon variants. This is a commercial Colt 1917. Serial is 335988. There is a hint of blue finish around the latch, the rest is dulled or worn off. The stocks are evenly worn without gouges. The mechanics are fine and the bore is spotless. It must have been carried and shot but cared for. It shoots well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hammer was blued all over. Frame contact has worn the blue off the left side at the bottom.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am guessing that the hammer was replaced or at some point the gun may have been rebuilt or refinished. Still, it looks like a nice well weathered example with loads of character. Who knows, a military officer may have made a private purchase of a commercial 1917 for his side arm. I have a S&W 1917 that is a commercial gun, but was in the holster of a US Marine Major in the 1920s and saw action in Central America. Man, if these things could talk!

·
Registered
938 Posts
This looks like a "Civilian" model New Service made in 1932-one of a couple of thousand guns made by Colt from left-over 1917 parts.They were sold during the Depression for a lower price.They have unique characteristics,the main one being a factory roll marked barrel(left side) that reads
"COLT MODEL 1917 .45 AUTO. CTGE."
An interesting & rare variant of the New Service.I have s/n 335700.
Regards,
turnerriver

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
altera6; If you have a have a chance to purchase a Commercial 1917 for $800,in 99% shape do it,as it is below "book"(whatever the hell that is!)-BUT- Look for the following. 1) Gun will NOT be parkerized,or have a dull war finish showing the polishing marks,but it won't be a high gloss either,such as a pre World War One.2) It will NOT have a lanyard ring,nor a hole for same.3)NO U.S. Property or Army Markings.4) cylinder latch will be the old flat or L shape.5)Barrel will say,"Colt Model 1917 .45 Auto Ctge".(all in capitals and no quotation mark). 6)Serial number range will be between 335,000 and 336,000. 7) stocks will be the walnut,with silver medallions,as shown in illustration on this thread.Guns were produced in 1932 only,as far as is known.8)frame will be old style,WITHOUT the stippling or dulling on the top strap by the rear sight groove. Beware of fakes! they only made about 1000 of these.9)trigger is smooth,not grooved or checkered. 10)look for a "G" on the left grip frame(seller damm well better let you take of the stocks!). For a gun that sold in the depths of the Great Depression for $21 to $25,or about $15 less than a regular New Service(improved model of 1928),these "parts clean up specials",bring bigger $$$$ than regular guns-BUT if you want a real headache identifying one,try one made in the 1932-33 time period using pre World War One style .45 Colt,44/40 and 38/40 bbls. and cylinders,frames,grips etc.,yet serialed numbered for this later period! That Colt "parts clean up" has created another "fun"(?) area for enthusiasts! Good Luck and let us know what happens. Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lonewolf,

Without the gun under my nose it is exactly what you described, less looking for the G under the left grip panel. I'd still like to know the high end value of this piece, any idea.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Your best bet,for a realistic top end price,is to go to some of the online auctions,and see what similiar guns fetched for a final sale price. I have seen,one with the original box,for sale from a high end dealer(read that he has premium guns and only deals with those with much "discretionary income"),have an asking price of $1500,about 2 years ago;don't know if that is what it finally sold for. Hard to put a figure on it,as they only made 1000 of them 3/4ths a century ago,so they are not often seen or priced. But,for $800,you are doing well,as most shops/dealers "in the know" will put $1000 or so on this gun in the shape you describe. Bud

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some detail pics of 335988. The trigger is smooth and the is no hole for lanyard ring mount. The first pic is the G on the grip frame left bottom.

The top of the barrel.

The side of the barrel.

The frame serial number.

The rear sight.

I bought this pistol over a year ago. The seller claimed 60 to 70% finish. I would grade it at 30% bare metal 10% original finish and 60% dulled finish. There is slight pitting on the side plate and the pony is lightly struck. I value it at 600$. I tend to stay away from collector grade buys since I like to shoot what I buy.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Great photos,gunfish,and I just want to have members look at the "L" in the crane recess in the lower photo. This means "lined up",by turning the barrel,and eyeballing the centering of it. Guns marked "T" are targeted with the windage fixed by trial and error in firing,and lining up the sight based on results. This was a "subtle extra" Colt provided in the 1930s,and I have never seen it advertised or any mention of it in a catalog. I've mentioned this several time in posts. Some of the earliest(Pre 1907,or so)N.Services have a "witnesses mark".or thin line on the top strap by the barrel joint,to assist the assembler in aligning front/rear sights. Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would value it at about $800 to $1000 in the Northern Virginia area (near DC) since people just want to spend crazy money on guns here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts