Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I've run across a Colt that my limited knowledge of Colts is confusing me on. I've got a feeling that you guys will straighten me out.

The gun in question is, I think, a pristine 1917 with a barrel swap. The shop owner has it tagged as a New Service 45acp. The frame of the gun and the grips would grade at close to 95%. The grips are smooth. The frame is in what I think is parkerizing, in excellent condition. Its a brushed finish that is almost like new. There is a lanyard loop. The problem lies in the barrel. The barrel is a polished blue and is marked on the left side "New Service 45". Also, there are buff or small grind marks on the bottom of the grip frame where it appears to me the military markings have been ground or buffed out. I'm new with Colt but have had a lot of older guns. I'm 99% sure this is not a re-finished gun nor do I think that its a "parts gun" except for a possible barrel swap. My thinking on the gun was that it was a 1917 that someone panicked over owning with all the gov. markings. They ground off the ones on the butt but had to swap out the barrel to remove the US Gov. Prop stamping on the bottom. After, I read some of Additected's posts on New Service guns I concluded that perhaps there may be Colts that I'm not familiar with and that I should ask about. The serial number is 2414XX on this gun. The number is in the crane recess and on the crane. Could this be anything other than a swapped out 1917?

I like 45acps as shooters. Keeping in mind the excellent condition of this gun is it worth the asking price of $349 as a shooter even with the wrong barrel?
Tom

·
Registered
909 Posts
The price is certainly right for a shooter, but original issue 1917's had an unpolished blue finish, so if it's parkerized that was done sometime later. Lots of old 1917's had the Army markings ground off, and often the lanyard ring was removed. Does the frame have an ordnance mark (stamped initials or an eagle head over a number)? That would confirm the frame as U.S. issue.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The S/N dates it to 1919, but parkerizing didn't come along until much later, so odds are your gun has been through at least one military arsenal rebuild, where it was probably parkerized, and had the barrel replaced by someone after it was surplused. Not a bad price for good solid shooter, but not a steal eaither.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[ QUOTE ]
Does the frame have an ordnance mark (stamped initials or an eagle head over a number)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bushwacker,
I forgot my magnifying glass. lol These old eyes had a lot of trouble with the serial number. There is a mark at the top of the frame just ahead of the hammer. The shop owner says it is a flaming bomb. I'm not sure that's what it is. There is some kind of engraved mark there, though. The dealers is as old as I am.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[ QUOTE ]
and had the barrel replaced by someone after it was surplused

[/ QUOTE ]

ohiobuckeye,
Would it have been likely that the military arsenal replaced the barrel with a polished civilan Colt barrel?
Tom

·
Registered
909 Posts
A flaming bomb was a U.S. ordnance mark, but I don't know if it was used as early as WWI. Since many New Services were in government hands through WWII, it could have been added at an Army arsenal when it was rebuilt. The ordnance mark was usually stamped on the frame above the cylinder latch (did you mean just ahead of the hammer?).

Some of these marks are hard to make out because they were struck lightly or crooked, or the gun has been refinished. After you have seen a few good ones, the poorly struck marks get easier to recognize. Anyway, it sounds like military rather than civilian issue, with a replaced barrel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[ QUOTE ]
did you mean just ahead of the hammer?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Bushwhacker,
Yes, it was ahead of the hammer. Sorry about that.
Tom

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ohiobuckeye,
Would it have been likely that the military arsenal replaced the barrel with a polished civilan Colt barrel?
Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely. 1917 guns and parts were once cheap and plentiful and all sorts of modified guns, parts guns, and "customized" guns were(are)floating around. I have an assortment of new barrels, cylinders, parts, and even a brand new never used frame and sideplate that came from an old retired Colt employee. Also, there were after market barrels available from at least one source other than Colt. Barrels, cylinders, and parts still surface frequently on flea-bay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts