Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a colt 1917 revolver. it is in good condition and i love to shoot it. i dont have much experience with older colt revolvers and i have a question. it fails to fire sometimes. you can see where the pin has struck the primer, it just seems to be a little smaller strike than is made by my 1911 pistols. also it seems like the problem is much more common when you dont use the full moon clips.

as you probly know, these revolvers, have a shoulder in the cylinder for the round to sit against. i have tried to compare the position of the brass in the cylinder with and without the moon clips. it looks like the brass sits in the same relative position with with or with out the moon clips.

i dont know of a gun smith here in the small town i live in or i would have it looked at by now. the hammer seems to have a plenty of spring effort to it. i am wondering if the firing pin could have wore down over the years? is getting the firing pin replaced an expensive job to have done?
can a person still find a firing pin for one of these old guns?
i have owned and shot alot of pistols but i really like this old pistol and i would like to have it reliable.
i would be greatfull for any feed back.
therealkaos

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your revolver was made to use the half moon clips to fire the rimless 45 auto rounds. A rimmed round was made for the use of those guns without using the half moon clips it was called the 45 auto rimmed. These rounds are pretty hard to find these days. Thats about all the help I can give you. Good Luck..

·
Registered
149 Posts
.45 auto rim brass is still made by Remington at least. Midway has it listed @ $13.29/100, $59.99/500, $115.99/1000, or $222.99/2000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts