Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought one at nice little gun show and my jesus is it loud. anybody know anything cool about this gun the internet hasn't been much help yet i figure people on the net could give me some opinions/interesting facts or what have you, especially this site.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Great guns, I have a 1919 and a 1922 A.S., both 6" in 32-20. Casting and hand loading is the only way to go.

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
Loud??

Lol...

Please elaborate?

If it is a .38 Special, were you shooting up some old .38-44 Ammunition?

Anyhoo, as everyone says, ( and they are right! ) the old Army Specials are very well made, good looking Revolvers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a .38. yeah well i mean it was loud to me being it was the first gun ive ever shot or seen shot up close in person ya know
so think back to the first gun you seen or heard shot right in fronta you.....i also had no earplugs at all. yea im gonna have to get some pics on here soon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Get some earplugs before you shoot any more or your hearing will pay for it. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was firing some remington (i think) +p range rounds. pretty normal looking i dont think the ammo itself was actually old if thats what you meant hahah. i also shot a few of these winchester pdx1 +p hollow points i got for defense purposes just for a little comparison. i do love the way it looks and feels man.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to shoot plus ps in that old revolver. I doubt if it was made for that kind of pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah ive read a little bit on the subject cause i was confused myself, but all i really got were mixed opinions .some people said that ammo was hotter er whatever back in the day making todays +p rounds yesteryears standard and it should be okay alot of other people strongly advised against it so i only shot like four of them. Now in your opinion what would shooting this round do. Like obviously wear and tear but like do you think it would blow up in my face or potenially hurt someone unintentionally

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Why take a chance, treat her as the grand old lady that she is.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The question is why do you want to use +ps? If you just want to plink or shoot paper regular 38 special will work fine, it's cheaper and less abusive to the gun and you. Or do you intend to carry it for self defense? If so you could probably carry it with +ps but I wouldn't shoot them all the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought an Army Special (.38), made in 1918, from an estate. The price was low, and I figured I couldn't go wrong. It turned out to be a real cherry of a gun. Tight, accurate and fun to shoot. Makes a great range companion to my 1917. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
100_2458.jpg

Colt used to advertise these as being able to handle 38-44 ammo, like the S&W Outdoorsman. S&W warned against doing this in any of their K framed guns of the period. I have an Army Special from the late 1920's (see pic) that was used in its past to fire the equivalent of 357 magnum ammo, and it survived this abuse with no ill effects.

Still, like others here have stated, why abuse the gun this way? Just shoot standard 38 ammo in it, or even lower powered handloads, as I do in mine. Get a .357 magnum revolver if that's what you need or want.

Oh, and definitely use effective hearing protection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts