Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any information you guys can give me about this Colt Army Special would be greatly appreciated. The stamping on the butt makes me think its a LEO/Prison Guards sidearm (the action is also extremely tight, feels brand new. not to mention there doesnt appear to be much, if any real use). Serial is 521577 (1926 build) with a capital H underneath it. Stamped underneath on the butt is "D104", otherwise theres no other markings on it besides the factory stuff on the barrel, proof mark by the trigger guard and the colt.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Kyle

· Registered
3,989 Posts
Hi LoneStar, and welcome to the Fourm.

A good, useful revolver you have there, an Army Special still has a lot of life in it.

That one looks to be refinished, has a shortened barrel with a ramped front sight, and though it's difficult to tell for certain, reproduction stocks.

Here's it's near kin, serial No. 519364 a .41 Long Colt chambered Army Special that another Colt Forum member "compelled" me to acquire a while back. The serial numbers aren't too far apart.

I'm hoping that another Forum member will happen along to shed some light on that butt marking on your revolver.

· Registered
376 Posts
Assuming the barrel is original, then someone has done a job on the front sight,the other scenario is the barrel has been docked from original length and new front sight installed, the revolver then refinished in Nickel. 1926 build would have had the walnut grips not the hard rubber grips. As for the butt marking I cannot help, large numbers of these revolvers went to Police Depts and various state prisons as well as overseas contracts, especially Greece who ordered around 25000 Army Specials, though they were so marked on the backstrap.

Welcome to the forum, its a nice unit and should be a good shooter.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

A good, useful revolver you have there, an Army Special still has a lot of life in it.

That one looks to be refinished, has a shortened barrel with a ramped front sight, and though it's difficult to tell for certain, reproduction stocks.

Here's it's near kin, serial No. 519364 a .41 Long Colt chambered Army Special that another Colt Forum member "compelled" me to acquire a while back. The serial numbers aren't too far apart.

I'm hoping that another Forum member will happen along to shed some light on that butt marking on your revolver.
Thanks for the information. This is actually my fathers revolver, I figured id give him a hand trying to get some information on it.

Assuming the barrel is original, then someone has done a job on the front sight,the other scenario is the barrel has been docked from original length and new front sight installed, the revolver then refinished in Nickel. 1926 build would have had the walnut grips not the hard rubber grips. As for the butt marking I cannot help, large numbers of these revolvers went to Police Depts and various state prisons as well as overseas contracts, especially Greece who ordered around 25000 Army Specials, though they were so marked on the backstrap.

Welcome to the forum, its a nice unit and should be a good shooter.
Yeah looking at the barrel/front sight I was pretty sure it had been shortened. Thanks for the information guys, hopefully someone will have an idea what the D104 is from.

Kyle

· Registered
671 Posts

Nice Army.41. Those boxes of .41 cartridges look just like the ones I sold to Swamprat. Is it possible you ended up with them?

· Registered
746 Posts
Thanks for the information. This is actually my fathers revolver, I figured id give him a hand trying to get some information on it.

Yeah looking at the barrel/front sight I was pretty sure it had been shortened. Thanks for the information guys, hopefully someone will have an idea what the D104 is from.

Kyle
D(etective) 104 of such-and-such PD?

· Registered
3,989 Posts
"Is it possible you ended up with them?"

Only if Swamprat passed them on to another kindly Colt Forum member who sent a box of factory stuff along to me to help with taking chronograph readings for factory velocities of a few different loadings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.