Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I collect LAPD stuff, and wish this letter said sold to them, but this was a reasonable price and good enough for me. A 1928 DS shipped to Wm Hoegee Co. Forgive the bad photos and I don't know why I can't get the photo showing letter details to not be on it's side. It was in a holster for some time, and has some good scratching on the cylinder. Private citizen? LAPD cop? Movies? I'll never know, but being in that town at that time is good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
It was in a holster for some time, and has some good scratching on the cylinder. Private citizen? LAPD cop? Movies? I'll never know, but being in that town at that time is good enough for me.
Cool find.

LAPD detectives did carry the DS, but not marked, and I’m not sure whether these were private purchase or actual issue.

And of course in the greater LA area, there were over 30 other municipal police departments just in L.A. County besides the LAPD and LASD, not to mention Orange County, Ventura County, etc., so there are lots of possibilities.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Nice Detective Special. I have several guns that shipped to Wm. H. Hoegee Co. including a 1923 shipped Savage Model 1917 and Ruger .41 Mag Blackhawk and .357/9mm Blackhawk that shipped in 1967 and 1970 respectively.
Sometime in the 1960's they became Western-Hoegee and moved to nearby Glendale CA

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
To further muddy the waters - don't forget about the film industry, private security services, bank guards and pretty much any other interested element that had a perceived need to arm an employee - and then, there's just the average citizen...

These short-barreled revolvers were wildly popular across the board.

It's likely that LAPD and LASD - following the established path of commerce - bought their small arms from a hardware jobber, and if they were big enough, they could have well been that supplier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts