Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have bought a 2" revolver that is likely a PPS forerunner of the Detective Special. SN 349244. The blued finish shows some wear, but is original, as the stampings would bear out. The polish is of a higher luster that the DS pieces of a couple of years later, but consistent with the PPS guns of this era, as viewed in pictures. The bbl only is stamped 38 Special.
My question regards the finish of the hammer. The polished white edges are almost of a mirror quality, not of the fine grit finish observed on early DS pieces. Is this hammer finish consistent with the higher general polish of these transitional PPS's? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
That looks like a really nice little gun. Do you have any more photos?

I would love to have one of these pre-detective specials.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,059 Posts
Pre Detective Special

It appears to be original as far as I can tell. I have four of the Pre Detective Special's and yours looks the same. I do have one for sale at this time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have bought a 2" revolver that is likely a PPS forerunner of the Detective Special. SN 349244. The blued finish shows some wear, but is original, as the stampings would bear out. The polish is of a higher luster that the DS pieces of a couple of years later, but consistent with the PPS guns of this era, as viewed in pictures. The bbl only is stamped 38 Special.
My question regards the finish of the hammer. The polished white edges are almost of a mirror quality, not of the fine grit finish observed on early DS pieces. Is this hammer finish consistent with the higher general polish of these transitional PPS's? Thanks for your input.
This old Colt must have been kept in a drawer witness the isolated wear to the cylinder. Wonderful action and tight lockup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts