Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a 98% 38 Cal.Shooting Master. The dealer who sold it called it mint. Serial #334,7XX. It is in just about as fine condition as one could hope for considering its age. I never thought I would find one like this.

The front sight with the red isert is odd. Do any of you know where it came from? Pics follow:

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
That's a beauty Robba ! What a great addition /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Sorry , I can't shed any light on the front sight blade .

My .38 is a few years newer , 1936 .

[image]
[/image]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm no expert, but that front sight blade looks like it was cut and the plastic insert added or a whole new blade was constructed. No target sight would be rounded on the face. It would have a sharp edge for the best possible sight picture without anything to cause glare.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Robba,
That one is really nice! It was my recent acquisition of a Shooting Master that perked my interest in Colts. I have a nice collection of the "other brand". I just never bothered much with Colts. My SM was made in '36. Its not as pristine as yours. I've been shooting mine quite a bit. It lives up to the old Colt advertisements. It is the finest revolver that I've ever had my hands on. It is superb in both fit and finish, as well as attention to detail and is superbly accurate with 38 wadcutter loads.

Mine has unusual sights on which a poster on this forum, Ira Paine, posted that were made by Walter Roper. In my research I found that quite a few Shooting Masters have King sights. I'm not sure if yours are that but I think someone on here will be able to tell you. Also, the orginal grips from mine are gone replaced by what I think are a set of oversize New Service grips and a Tyler.
Tom

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That sight is not of that period. The red insert indicates late model style. Probably aftermarket

·
Registered
345 Posts
Man that is an awsun gun.I'm sure if I owned it I'd love that front sight because I'd probably be shooting the crap out of it.What I've learned from my Mustang cars is enjoy them,as when you're in the ground someone's gonna just profit from your non-enjoyment.Let the museaums collect the non-shooters......I own a low mileage 69 black Mustang Mach 1 with a 428 SCJ and has a rare 4.30 rear end and 4-speed.Lotsa people would die for that,,,but me,I race it and do my minor restomod modifications.Kinda like I'd do with your gun....enjoy!
Joe

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Folks, the sight blade with the red insert was probably made for a former owner, and installed by a gunsmith. There are no marks around front base pin, although the screw had been turned during adjustment.

The picture provided by the seller was terrible, and did not show the blade change at all. I was on pins, and needles before the gun arrived, as the seller said mint, 99% condition. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the 1% between 98% & 99% because of its age. There is not one rust spot on the gun.

One thing I will say about the internet is, that you can find items that would never be available to you locally. I am very satified.

·
Registered
909 Posts
You've got a beauty, what many consider Colt's finest revolver. Take good care of it for posterity /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I have a son who will be shooting it long after I'm gone. Thats what keeps these revolvers in the condition they are in generation after generation. Does anyone know where the red insert front sight came from? Second question, does anyone know were I might find a original Colt front sight blade?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thant is cool! The SM AND the front sight! If it didn't bother me I'd keep the sight as is. The install looks very professional, could be Kings or any other period gunsmiths. That makes it very unique.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts