Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy wants to sell me this pistol and is asking $700. I like 1933, but not so much the condition or the fact that it's a re-import. What do you think would be a fair deal on it? I would have time to break it down and inspect the internals, so lets assume they're good (even though it looks like there could be rust on it).

I really appreciate your opinions. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
To some it will be worth it, to others it will not. We all have different opinions and that is what makes the forums great. The end of the day it is a 1933 colt 1911A1. It has been used, abused and then some. It is an early example that you do not have to feel bad about putting in a holster or getting a ding. A mint one would bring big $$$$

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I think if you are wanting a 1933 for a particular reason, and not to shoot, you specifically want a Colt and you don't want to spend more money...well, then...this may be the pistol for you. Pistols produced post-WWII are better shooters, IMO. And your money goes further on condition, the more current production you buy.

The pistol appears to be well-worn, indicating it was at least carried a lot. Stocks are not original. We do not have any other info to go on to assess how original or functional the pistol may be.

I've seen a few of these for sale at gun shows recently, so I suspect they've recently been imported. A lot of commercial Colt Government Models were sold outside the U.S. The seller is correct...non-import and high condition Colts from the same era typically do sell for quite a bit more than $700. The real question is...what do you want? If you want something pretty to display or appreciate over time, this probably isn't it.

There aren't any military M1911A1 pistols from 1933, so if you want one from that year, you will have to find a commercial. I do not know how many of the recent imports are from 1933...maybe all of them? Maybe only a few? I'm sure some of the fellows who follow the imported sales pistols on the market will reply.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
If this Pistol were on the Table at my Local Gun Show, for $500.00...I would keep walking.

If it were $400.00...I would pause, think about it for nine seconds, and, then, keep walking.

I think you can definitely do a lot better by looking around a little more and taking your time.

An 'honest' Beater which has never been re-finished, is always far and away a better choice, than a 'beater' which has an already worn out old, bad, re-finish.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
With the soft lines on the frame, it is my opinion that the gun has already been refinished at least once. Unless there is some magic to a 1933 vintage gun, I would not buy this gun, especially not for $700. To me, it is a $250-$300 shooter, and I still would not buy it at that price. Such junkers have no appeal to me.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.