Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aquired a 1934 birthdate Detective Special with Colt medalions on the ivory grips.Guy said a Chief of Police from Duncan Oklahoma had the gun like way back then.My story is a pimp from New Orleans owned it,,,he he...anyway I feel like I got something now,,,funny how some of the simpliest of guns will turn you on.The nickel is 98% there,it's a little thin it seems.One of the ivory grips has a slight chip on the bottom.

Are these pretty rare,,the nickel and Colt factory Ivory Detectives from the 30's ???

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
any depression era gun with extra cost options are pretty hard to locate, i have been looking for an early d/s for 2-3 yrs without any luck.nice find, are you going to letter it?? is the finnish original??

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I absolutely love it. I'm ALWAYS looking for interesting detectives or cobras.
What a terrific find. Thanks for the pic!

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
Yes, if original, this is a rare-featured gun.

With the poor fit of the side plate, I would speculate that the gun is refinished. I suspect it was blue originally and the rust was buffed off the side plate before plating, thus rounding the edges of the side plate and "dishing" out the Rampamnt Colt a little bit. I cannot even see the Verified Proof stamp, and the barrel stamping appears weak from buffing.

The stocks may be original to the gun, but are very desirable even if they are not, assuming they are original Colt, which they appear to be.

Even if refinished, these Pre-War Detective Specials just have "the look." Neat guns.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That certainly is a nice looking gun.

Without trying to burst your balloon, this gun has several typical signs of a re-nickeled gun. The edges of the sideplate and frame are your biggest clues. Notice too the screw heads indicating someone has been in side.

I also love those grips, however the medallion seems a bit too bright and shiny for its age. I wonder if they could also been re-nickeled at the same time as the gun.

The good news about the Ivories is the medallion appears to be correct for the vintage of the gun. Notice the ears of the horse point to the L in Colt as opposed to pointing to the C in newer guns.

Did you look for the capital N stamping on the frame like I mentioned in one of your other posts? Since I don't own a 30's nickel gun I can't say for sure if Colt stamped N on the frame during this period, but I do know they did so on more recent guns.

No matter what the finish (original or not), you have a really sharp looking gun.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked for the items mentioned.The proof mark IS there.It is right at the very bottom point where the trigger guard meets the frame,(weak but there).Under a good light you can see the horse totaly.It don't apear to be dished out under the light.Another reason I wanted to polish the scratches up minimally at least.I do not see any N under the grips though.I tried to remove the sideplate because it does seem to stick upwards a weeee bit.One screw though is a bugger.I hate to mess it up any more then it is.I'll soak it down at a later date,when this heat goes away.As far as the medalion being bright,,,yes it is.I polished the gun when I got it home.The scratches were almost unbearable.Was carefull not to go much because I didn't want to go through and hit copper.It shows some copper tint,so it was at least done triple plate instead of electroless.This old gun has seen some use,and probably retired at the best time to get almost 100% use out of it from the so-called police chief.If I get brave and convinced it's real nickel I will get a letter done for it.I hate too because of the cost towards a not too expensive gun.I'll also try and get a better picture.Thanks for letting me show it off and your imput.It always helps us learning guys.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
hey, there aint no bugs on that d/s.even if it`s been renickled it`s still a very desireable gun. as you said it was used/carried /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
I am not trying to run down this attractive gun, but I think it is instructive for those who want to learn how to spot a refinished gun to have some of the clues pointed out.

The reason the side plate appears to "stick up," is because of the improper polishing job done with the side plate off when it was refinished. Material was removed from the edges of the opening, so as to make the side plate appear to "stick up."

A "Verified Proof" stamp should be very sharp, since it is applied after the gun is finished. I said the "Rampant Colt" was dished out because the stamping is now only recessed instead having raised edges as it would if original.

The stocks look legitimate to me. I doubt that the medallions were removed to replate them, which would be a bit difficult. I suspect the recent polishing accounts for their bright look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts