Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up this pistol tonight. I thought I'd share some of the seller's pictures. He's a member here and a good friend, and I asked if I could use them since I am so behind on pictures lately. He told me this is one he never posted before, so we're all looking at it for the first time.

Please don't ask me the price because of both of us are members of the forum and I'd like to be discreet. Let's just say that I got it at a a good price. This will be only my 2nd Colt semi auto pistol, and the earliest Colt I will have. Next would be the 1944 Intel. DS. I have been told the bore is excellent. I plan to shoot a few mags of .380 fmj through it whenever the tropic humidity leaves central PA. It will never be carried. I will be cleaning the stocks, either with Dawn or Murphy's Oil Soap. I've had very good results with the Murphys but it couldn't hurt to try Dawn first. The only flaws are the scratches on top of the left side of the slide. They are not rust. This is an example of a gun I can handle and shoot and not obsess about it. Sure. I'd like to have one like new in the original box but I do enjoy the shooters more.

A big thanks to this one particular forum friend. While I'm at it, thanks to all my forum friends! What the heck :D

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Nicely played Mike and congratulations. You'll love the way it shoots. I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot that '36 99% w/box (so unlike me) so I "make do" with her older sister and it just feels so right in my hand.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
The 1903 and 1908 Colt Pistols are some of the finest ever made. I love these guns and have several.

·
Premium Member
20,747 Posts
Most Excellent. You will love this Colt even more after you shoot it.
They are the best feeling easy shooting 380's out there.
Everybody should have one or two.LOL.
Congratulations on landing a great piece of history.

Reactions: Malysh

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The 1903 and 1908 Colt Pistols are some of the finest ever made. I love these guns and have several.
What he said:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
As said above, Colt knew what they were doing with the 1903's and 1908's. They are still great accurate shooters. Yours looks great.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yep you are gonna love it!. built when craftsmanship was alive and well in america

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got back from picking it up. I never cease to be amazed at how svelte these pistols are. Looks-wise, they are a perfect marriage of form and function. This one will do me fine.

It looks good. I bought two boxes of Fed. A.E. 95gr. FMJ to try the gun out with, at $19 per 50 rds. Not bad for today's ammo prices. I have 4 boxes of Fiocchi HP but I am doubtful it would function correctly even though the Fiocchi has a very small diameter hollow point cavity . It might work, as it works well in my older Walther PPKs. But in general, we all know the older designs get indigestion from hollow points.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I have shot speer Gold Dots out of mine without ANY function issues. It eats every hollow point I put through it
I just got back from picking it up. I never cease to be amazed at how svelte these pistols are. Looks-wise, they are a perfect marriage of form and function. This one will do me fine.

It looks good. I bought two boxes of Fed. A.E. 95gr. FMJ to try the gun out with, at $19 per 50 rds. Not bad for today's ammo prices. I have 4 boxes of Fiocchi HP but I am doubtful it would function correctly even though the Fiocchi has a very small diameter hollow point cavity . It might work, as it works well in my older Walther PPKs. But in general, we all know the older designs get indigestion from hollow points.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Way to go Mike nice find on the blue prewar 380 and your going to fire it too LOVE IT Congrats

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have shot speer Gold Dots out of mine without ANY function issues. It eats every hollow point I put through it
Ha-ha! Then I spent about $40 on ammo I probably didn't need:D
Seriously, that's very good information to have. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys, since I'm a neophyte with this model I have a question.
Is the slide supposed to hold back on an empty magazine follower or not?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I guess I'll be sitting around with my fedora on tonight, looking for a Bogart or Cagney movie, or something similar to watch while I abrade a tiny bit more finish off this 76 yr. old gun.
Not seriously, but that's what it makes me think of.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts