Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about sending off my 1938 NYPD official Police to have the cylinder wobble fixed and the action tightened up.The finish needs work too so i was going to have it re-blued...Question is should i do this, will it hurt the value what is the value on a gun like this. Attached is a pic of the Factory letter i just received back stating it has a thicker front site and special trigger pull. Thanks in advance.

Marko

Attachments

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I don't think I'd have it reblued. Is the gun itself marked NYPD, if it is, I know I wouldn't have it reblued.
Congratulations on a nice old gun.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
No not marked NYPD ... iT HAS A BADGE # ON THE GRIP Butt.
If the badge # looks like it's not just scratched in but properly stamped, I for sure wouldn't have it reblued.
The bottom line, though, is it's your gun & what makes you happy is probably what you should do.
Again, congratulations.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
^^^^^, yeah! I wouldn't touch the finish but fix all else.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You all are right...i won't re-blue, but who do i get to fix the wobble? The guy that was goingto do the re-blue was sending it off to someone to fix it before the blue, guess i'll have to ask him, anyone know of a smith that can do it without waiting a year or more. I will post pics tomorrow.... i purchased the gun from a forum member like six months ago.

Marko

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You all are right...i won't re-blue, but who do i get to fix the wobble? The guy that was goingto do the re-blue was sending it off to someone to fix it before the blue, guess i'll have to ask him, anyone know of a smith that can do it without waiting a year or more. I will post pics tomorrow.... i purchased the gun from a forum member like six months ago.

Marko

Marko, I'd start with Colt. Ask them about it, that'd be a place to start & if they do the work you'll have a Colt worksheet/invoice proving the work was done at Colt. If you decide to send it somewhere else all you've lost is a bit of time & a phone call.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frank

Thanks....i thought Colt would not touch any older revolvers? But its def worth a phone call... anyone know of a # at Colt that would point me in the right direction?

Marko

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke to Colt and they do not work on the Official Police "N" frame revolvers... they offered to give me Turball's # but i declined they never get back to you.

Mark

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She did say N frame i am sure of it... guess i'll call back and gewt someone else on the phone. I did call Turnball and they informed me they only work onm single action revolvers.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She did say N frame i am sure of it... guess i'll call back and gewt someone else on the phone. I did call Turnball and they informed me they only work onm single action revolvers.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so i called back and spoke to another person who informed me that they do not work on OP anymore but she gave me the #s for Jack First & Peace maker specialties and Coltparts.com.

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
How about a photo of that gun and NYPD badge marking?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts