Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I just recently inherited my grandfathers 1938 Woodsman Match Target .22 He used this in matches, and won many many medals! Now it is mine so I am learning about it. My only problem at this time is that it is VERY HARD to release the magazine!! I see the catch in there with grooves to push forward (to the right) to release. But I cannot seem to dig out the magazine without some tool to reach in there and pull it. I hate to think this is the only way i can get it out! Is there some way to help this? We did grease it with gun oil already. Is there a recommended tool? Please help! I want to enjoy this gun! I love shooting it so far.. I have 2 magazines for it. Not sure if they are both made for this gun or not.
Thanks for any help/advice!
Jennifer

20191027_105755_2.jpg

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
You push the magazine catch to the rear...

Stick your finger in the well, and push the little serrated rectangle towards the heel of your hand- it should drop free.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Their are some members on this forum with so much knowledge about these colts it just blows me away! They will be here soon. I’M sure they will want to see better photos of both mags, and all around the pistol.. try to get very clear photos. I think the mag in your post may be incorrect but can’t really tell from your photo? You are one lucky Gal to receive that MT.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum.

Your grandfathers 1st Series "Bullseye" Match Target is equipped with aftermarket stocks looking like Herrett's. Their design closer seals the bottom of the magazine well making them less desirable for proper magazine retraction.
The Magazine as shown is a 1st Series yet most probably Not base plate marked "Match Target" which matter not as it will function fine in your Woodsman.
To start, I would remove the stocks and see if the magazines function more properly by themselves as I would suspect a bind with the interior wood of the aftermarket stocks.
Regards,
Tom Platt

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
For what it's worth, I have the same problem, and my Woodsman & magazine are all original. I think it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Prewoodsman! I will check that. If it IS the stocks binding... is there a way to make it work better? Maybe take off a little wood where it is binding with a pocket knife?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what it's worth, I have the same problem, and my Woodsman & magazine are all original. I think it's the nature of the beast.
Yeah that really sucks because I love to shoot it! I need to find something to help release it, like a little hook.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not right or acceptable for a Factory original Woodsman to not perform as designed. Slight adjustments can make all the difference.

Regards,
Tom Platt
Yes I agree. I need to find a way to correct it. Prewoodsman pointed out that the stocks are not factory.. so maybe they are impeding on the release..

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Jennifer,
An excellent source of Woodsman information can be viewed on Bob Rayburn's most excellent website at:
www.colt22.com

You will note the differences of the basic 1st series Target and Sport Magazines verse the 1st Series "Bullseye" Match Target magazine.
Further you will note the two different standard supplied Elephant Ear Wood or Military Hard Plastic grip stocks. In looking you will clearly see your Herrett's stocks have a closed front strap design which blocks ones finger from assisting the removal of the magazine.

To explore the various option available always feel free to contact me direct via the gmail address listed below.
Regards,
Tom Platt

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
The magazines are a bit difficult to remove, even with the standard Elephant Ear grips. Colt's solution was to make the base plate for the Match Target a little longer than standard to better allow for pushing down at the front of the magazine for extraction. To aid in ID "Match Target" was added to the base plate markings, resulting in the "3 line markings" on the 1st series MT magazine. They are otherwise identical to regular Woodsman magazines of the same era.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
All good info by our Woodsman Folks - but I am surprised no one has commented on the unusual barrel weight (?) attachment in front of the trigger guard. It looks to be a well machined custom piece that I have not seen before. Your rear sight appears to be an after market replacement consistent with some custom work. The full blued magazine also appears to be a later clip instead of the bright top of a MT Woodsman Type. I do like the Herrett grips on yours, similar to a pair on my later MT Woodsman. Mine has a different mag release that pivots down, making it a bit easier to release the clip. Jackson

Colt MT Woodsman with Herretts  11-3-19 001.jpg Colt MT Woodsman with Herretts  11-3-19 002.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think my husband has found a way to solve my problem! He counter sunk a small machine screw unto the lip of the magazine where you are supposed to pull it out. Put on some small bolts so you can grab something. This has greatly improved the time it takes me to get that thing out! We are working toward maybe getting some small ring or hook to make it a bit better. Maybe this idea will help others with this problem?😎

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Jackson! Yes there is an added weight in fro t of the trigger out there by my Grandfather. It is supposed to help counteract the recoil kick... and it does it well! Very easy to keep it steady and shoot agai immediately after firing, rapid fire..! I think he did customize the sights too. He was a very competitive marksman!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The weight in front of the trigger guard was made ny Frank Ratcliff. It has micro adjustable sights, and a spring buffered trigger stop to help smooth the action. So yeah.. it was customized! Thats fine with me, makes me feel it is put together the best it can be!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok! Problem solved!!😁 Hubby got a mirror hanger hook and mounted it on the magazine tab. Now all i have to do is push the release spring back with my thumb and use my index finger to hook the hook and pull it out! So easy now! Going to do this to the other magazine as well. So maybe this can help yall? Now I'm ready for Ladies Night tomorrow evening!😎 POW POW!😉

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts