Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a gun show this week and a Colt New Service called to me. 95% finish ,5-1/2" barrel, blued, perfect bore, 1940 production date in .45 [Long]Colt. One of 300 sold to the Canadian Navy in 1941. Stamped "C, broad arrow mark, N" in 3 places. No other British Commonwealth markings or import marks. I dickered a price of $900. I think I did ok.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,432 Posts
I went to a gun show this week and a Colt New Service called to me. 95% finish ,5-1/2" barrel, blued, perfect bore, 1940 production date in .45 [Long]Colt. One of 300 sold to the Canadian Navy in 1941. Stamped "C, broad arrow mark, N" in 3 places. No other British Commonwealth markings or import marks. I dickered a price of $900. I think I did ok.
I am guessing that it might be in the 353XXX serial range. It could be one that was shipped to Halifax, Nova Scotia. You did well on your purchase as these usually bring three times that much. Can you please post some pictures?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I dickered a price of $900. I think I did ok.
Gee...ya think? Another case of felony theft, Officer! You did good!

·
Registered
158 Posts
It sounds like you got a bargin.
Over 1940/41 there were in fact 500 guns that were shipped to the Canadian Navy in 5 shipments.
Does you example have a mark on the frame near the hammer of a crown with a "W"inside?

Regards

AlanD

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Canadian Navy New Service in .45 Colt

IMG_0123.JPG IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0120.JPG I received my Canadian Navy NS pistol yesterday. Please note the pictures. Note the crudely stamped "C Broad Arrow N" stamps that were applied by the Canadians not the Colt factory. There is no crown or "W" mark near the hammer. More pictures to follow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Let us know what the letter says.

I will take a stab and say that with out the W in a crown Woolwich mark, your revolver will be from one of the two X100 guns shipments in October 1940, rather than the 300 that were shipped in November 1941.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Colt Factory Letter for Canadian Navy New Service

Let us know what the letter says.

I will take a stab and say that with out the W in a crown Woolwich mark, your revolver will be from one of the two X100 guns shipments in October 1940, rather than the 300 that were shipped in November 1941.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
I requested a Colt Factory Letter a month. They said they would contact me after doing a search. How long is the wait time?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just was notified by Colt to send in my $100 for the factory letter on this NS .45 LC. Now to wait 2-3 weeks !!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Colt factory letter arrived today. 1 of 100 sold in 1940 to the Canadian Navy. Possibly the first sale to them?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts