Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a before & after of my 1940 Woodsman Match target, I wanted a shooter, & bought it from Lumberjack, ( Thank you again!) The Franzite stocks had to go, & I asked forum members for help w/ correct stocks. Being that the elephant ears go for more than the cost of my purchase, I want to thank Prewoodsman, for providing me with a set of the military Coltwood stocks. I really like the look of this Colt with these stocks. So I wanted to share this with the forum members & thank again the great people here.
Leigh

Before:
Woodsman MT 2.jpg Woodsman MT.jpg

MT Woodsman 2.jpg MT Woodsman 1.jpg

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It looks much better. Those old hard plastic Franzite stocks will rub the finish off underneath quite easily. I have a Woodsman Target Model, "Pre-War/Post War" model that was built as part of a parts clean up run in 1946 prior to the release of the second series Woodsmans. It shipped with the leftover elongated military stocks.
What are the letters and numbers stamped on the frame ? Looks like they start with OSU. Maybe your gun was property of Ohio State University's shooting team ?

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Those stock look great! One finishing touch might be to plug that unused threaded hole in the fore strap with a plug screw, although I think it may be an odd thread size. Jackson

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those stock look great! One finishing touch might be to plug that unused threaded hole in the fore strap with a plug screw, although I think it may be an odd thread size. Jackson
Yes, that is my plan is to find some kind of plug, it was something for a Ransom Rest.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks much better. Those old hard plastic Franzite stocks will rub the finish off underneath quite easily. I have a Woodsman Target Model, "Pre-War/Post War" model that was built as part of a parts clean up run in 1946 prior to the release of the second series Woodsmans. It shipped with the leftover elongated military stocks.
What are the letters and numbers stamped on the frame ? Looks like they start with OSU. Maybe your gun was property of Ohio State University's shooting team ?
I'm not sure what it stands for, Ohio state, Oklahoma state?
Leigh

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I may have misunderstood your Ransom Rest comment.
The threaded hole needing a plug was the front mounting screw for the one piece Elephant Ear stocks."

Regards,
Tom Platt

Tom,
Sorry I should of been more clear, I know about the threaded hole in the front grip strap is for the stocks, but there is a threaded hole in front of the trigger guard that needs to be plugged that someone put there, which is to bad.
Leigh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts