Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
Great gun. Great letter !!!!!! So nice when things work out like this. KUDOS !!!!!!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,970 Posts
I don't think we've ever come to a consensus on what exactly the "T" and sometimes "L" above the serial number meant.
It's claimed that the "T" meant the revolver was targeted at the factory and the "L" meant it had been "lined up" to shoot to the center of the target, but it seems to be uncertain if this is the case.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,589 Posts
I am guessing the N is an inspector stamp. I have silly question is the T something dealing the point of impact at this revolver that was set by Colt? I have heard somewhere that the T mean target, most likely a gun store myth, just wondering if there's any truth in that statement.
This subject has been discussed many times over the years. Gil Newton mentioned that in his Bob Murphy book on New Services however recent studies seem to show differently according to the Colt Archive folks. Paul has a post talking about it that may shed some light. You will have to do a search to bring it up. Where is A1A when we need him.

Cam

·
The Consummate Collector
7,589 Posts
Not in the best condition, but recently got the Colt letter back. View attachment 726173 View attachment 726174
Excellent and thanks for posting. According to a recent study Colt built approximately 20 New Service Fitz revolvers. Yours is one of the later ones along with the other two in the shipment. Since they went to Joseph Lorch we can probably assume that they were for one of the Government or Law enforcement agencies.

If you could post these photo's up in the New Service photo section then they would remain current for all to see.

This is our Colt New Service Fitz that was shipped to the Des Moines, Iowa Police Department in July, 1932 in a one gun shipment.

Cam

·
Registered
502 Posts
I guess when a Colt letter references cutaway it does not refer to a cutaway to show the inner workings/mechanism as we commonly associate with this term. Colt apparently does not use the Fitz terminology although he was a Colt representative linked to this feature. Nevertheless, great guns and great letters. Thanks for sharing gents

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Every time I see a Colt revolver that has been "Fitz'd" I think, oh god, another butchered gun. But when I see one that letters as such, I have an entirely different opinion. Then you have something special. I assume that most Fitz'd guns were the smaller, lighter Detective Specials which makes sense, so a figure of 20 New Service guns modified that way really makes them rare. I imagine that even when wearing a big wool overcoat back in the 1930's and '40's, that sucker would still be felt in one's pocket !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.