Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone a few years back I purchased an old Colt that some helpful members on the forum here helped sway me towards picking up. I love the history and have taken good care of it since then. Now I am toying with the idea of selling, and I want to find out as much as I can about it. I am far from an expert on these pistols, so here is what I know so far:
- The frame is from 1943
- It has the SA mark showing a rebuild (I don't believe there was refinishing)
- The slide is numbered 797262, which is from 1942 (someone on the forums said it was shipped to the navy, but I don't know for sure)
- The barrel is marked HS instead of Colt, and I hear Hi Standard barrels were often switched onto weapons during and after the war
- The magazine is unmarked except for Colt 45 Auto on the baseplate
- The holster is a Sears and is undated, which I understand was common

What are your thoughts on this old weapon and what kind of value it might have today? I know something's only worth what someone is willing to pay, but a ballpark is helpful. I'm attempting to attach some pictures to help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You are correct... the slide is from 1942, and the frame is from 1943. The SA stamp does indicate a rebuild/repair by Springfield Arsenal.

Along with the barrel (a High Standard as you mentioned), the hammer, trigger, mainspring housing, and slide lock are not original to the frame... probably as a result of the rebuild. The primary concern with a rebuild was a working, functional gun... not collectability.

Still, it's a nice example of a WWII rebuild. As far as a selling price, I've seen examples of these go for $1500, but that may be on the high side. Hopefully other members can give a more definitive answer.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Looks like the frame may actually be from very early 1944.

Prices on mixmasters and GI rebuilds have been rising, but with 100,000 USGI CMP guns about to come on the market over the next few years, I don't know what will happen price-wise. I'd give a guess of anywhere between $900.00 to $1200.00, depending on bore condition and what it looks like close-up. Nice Colt.
Bob

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi everyone a few years back I purchased an old Colt that some helpful members on the forum here helped sway me towards picking up. I love the history and have taken good care of it since then. Now I am toying with the idea of selling, and I want to find out as much as I can about it. I am far from an expert on these pistols, so here is what I know so far:
- The frame is from 1943
- It has the SA mark showing a rebuild (I don't believe there was refinishing)
- The slide is numbered 797262, which is from 1942 (someone on the forums said it was shipped to the navy, but I don't know for sure)
- The barrel is marked HS instead of Colt, and I hear Hi Standard barrels were often switched onto weapons during and after the war
- The magazine is unmarked except for Colt 45 Auto on the baseplate
- The holster is a Sears and is undated, which I understand was common

What are your thoughts on this old weapon and what kind of value it might have today? I know something's only worth what someone is willing to pay, but a ballpark is helpful. I'm attempting to attach some pictures to help
Maybe this pistol served with my Rock Island Arsenal 1917A1. It was also manufactured in 1942 and served with the US Navy/Marine Corps during WWII.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Not that it matters much on a rebuild, but the magazine is a relatively modern aftermarket. Any WWII mag, even refinished, would be appropriate...or an early postwar parked mag would work, too. If selling, I'd probably price the holster separately. Most buyers won't give you what it's worth when they buy the gun. Holster appears to be pretty decent...$75-90 retail value, IMO.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much to everyone who has responded! Some great info, including that the receiver is in fact an early 44- I was always under the impression it was 43!:) I noticed on the right hand side of the receiver, near the grip (and next to crossed cannons) there is a small "1" stamped. Anyone know what that might signify?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts