Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local auction Thursday night and was the successful bidder on a very nice Colt 1911a1. I know it is from 1942 based on serial number but could someone please tell me the month it shipped? It is serial number 8448xx.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I have Clawson's small book, and it shows that Colt #s 801001-856100 were shipped in 1942.

Folks that know more than I do will be along shortly.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I went to a local auction Thursday night and was the successful bidder on a very nice Colt 1911a1. I know it is from 1942 based on serial number but could someone please tell me the month it shipped? It is serial number 8448xx.

Thanks
I replied to your PM about shipping date. Did it get lost?

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
For those curious,---most likely, 8448XX shipped in Nov 42. In one of 6 shipments from 10 Nov through 25 Nov.

At that time, Colt was not assembling or shipping, in numerical order. The only way to know is to get a Colt Letter.? (One ordering a letter, should(?) ask for the assembly date to be added. The assembly date might be particularly important when lettering a commercial pistol,---the assembly and ship dates may be many months apart. The parts, etc., on the pistol, should conform to the assembly date.?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts