Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at the gun show, I managed to purchase an absolutly mint Ithaca 1911A1 (SN 1,258,444) that came with dark copies of Ithaca shipping records, that document it was shipped to the Navy on March 3, 1944.

Some additional notations in the included docs say it was packed in box or crate # 2202 ... the 26th case (fifty pistols and 100 magazines) of Ithaca's 83rd shipment to the Government. The shipment consisted of 150 cases (7500 pistols and 15,000 magazines). This shipment went on March 3, 1944 to the Supply Officer, Naval Ordnance Depot in Oakland, CA.

I observed in these (new to me) records that guns were not packed or crated sequentially in numerical order for these Navy shipments. I have not seen such shipping records in either Clawson or Meadows.... who is the "keeper" of this documentation? Do any of you guys have access to these records?

After I made this purchase and got home today... I went digging in my vault to look at another high condition Ithaca 1911A1 that I have owned for 7 or 8 years....and I note that its SN 1,269,662 - is about 11000 guns later than my new one. Could this also be a Navy? Considering the fact that the guns were not shipped numerically - it appears to be in a sn range that makes it a possibility. If any of you have access to these cool Ithaca shipping records... i would sure apprecite a a quick check for me on this other gun.

Thanks,
- Huck

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
The records were found by a collector some 15 or so years ago, but are not complete. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong or add to the information if I am close, but I seem to remember that the person that found the records did sell a copy of the records for a time, and then another enterprising collector started selling pirated copies of the records.

Clawson's 2nd Edition (as well as the 3rd) of the "Collector's Guide" had an abbreviated list of the Ithaca shipping records which consisted of the serial numbers by contract. If an Ithaca was shipped in numerical serial number order you can find it in this list with the date and destination in this list. To find the Ithacas that were not shipped in numerical order you have to have the records.

Meadow's book that covers from 1920 -1945 also has the brief set of records.

Forgot to add, but yes it could be a Navy, but also could have gone to other destinations also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I don't know how i missed the Ithaca shipping tables earlier, but i now see on page 126 in Meadows 1920-1945 that in fact my 1258444 - is listed by sn... and yes it also looks like 1269662 is a candidate and has a chance to be Navy shipped. Any one else with insights?
- Huck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Attached are two Pictures of 1258444 that is referenced as the subject of this thread. The gun appears to be unfired. The box is not original.

I welcome any and all comments and observations on this subject from members.

Still interested on shipping info on my other minty Ithaca SN1269662. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

-Huck

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are the "new found" (15 +/- years ago) Ithaca shipping records as discussed above, avail on the Web or even available for purchase? If anyone has access - I would appreciate info on my other near mint Ithaca #1269662

Thanks,
-Huck

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If memory serves correctly, I received a dark copy of the Ithaca Gun Company, Inc invoice paperwork from Charles Clawson. Inv G48 sold to Rochester Ordnance Disrict, Rochester NY shipped Associated Transport cases 501-520 on 9/13/1943: 1000 pistols, 10 cases magazines and spare parts for $41,297.90 to Commanding Officer Nixon, NJ. Although hard to read the SN are NOT sequential but go from 899448 - 907851. I only have one page with 200 serial numbers.

My #904784 is listed. If anyone has an Ithaca in that range and wants me to look it up on my poor copy, PM me. 1911A1 904784 Ithaca (800x600).jpg 1911A1 904784 Ithaca (800x600).jpg 1911A1 904784 Ithaca t (800x600).jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts