Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this today at the Allen, TX. gun show . Can you all tell me if it is original finish,i do know that the stocks
are ivory.of course it is to late anyway i already bought it:confused:,i am convinced it is true bluing,but i would like for the experts to chime in.
What say YE
Gun Revolver Starting pistol Trigger Tool Gun Revolver Pink Trigger Magenta Gun Revolver Pink Trigger Starting pistol Gun Revolver Auto part

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Revolver Carabiner Revolver Trigger Shotgun Pink Material property Technology Electronic device Material property
sorry about the pics. i ain't worth a crap at pics. i'm trying
PD. 625 out the door, hope it was not to much,but i liked it

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Very nice O.P. The finish looks original.
I think the stocks are real ivory but I'm no expert. However, I would have expected them to show some yellowing after so many decades. Then again, the gun itself looks to be in v.g. condition, too.
You need to use a tripod when taking pictures. Too much wobble. I use one for all my firearms pictures.

Now you folks know why I'm thinking of moving to TX. next year. I can't wait to go to my first TX. gunshow! Maybe I'll find a real nice Colt like this one.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
PD. 625 out the door, hope it was not to much,but i liked it
I think $625 was a good price. Have you checked out the price of ivory grips lately? Lets say the grips are only worth $300 (although I doubt you could get "new" ones made for that anywhere), that means the gun would only have to be worth $325. Hard to find good clean Colts for $325 in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
some of the pics give me the impression that the gun has been refinished. maybe it's just the pics. but the lettering on the barrel looks thin. the pony looks a little thin in places as well. sometimes it's just hard too tell with pics. after looking at the pics again I think the gun is original it's just the pics. I don't do well with pics either.

·
Registered
11,706 Posts
As Malysh suggested, get a tripod for your closeup photos. A WalMart $19.95 will do as good as any. Also, use the self timer as this not only eliminates any camera shake when depressing the shutter, but also gives the camera a chance to focus accurately. On your photo of the pistol butt, the background cloth is in focus, but the pistol is not. This could be from either tripping the shutter too quickly, or not having the macro function on.

This was shot with just a point and shoot camera, but on a tripod.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Does the topstrap have a matte finish? If so, I'd assume it is original. It does look original to me, after looking at my own 1943 OP Heavy Barrel. Nice gun and stocks.

Regards,

tecolote

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I believe your OP to be in very good condition, original finish with real ivory stocks. IMHO you did excellent.

My boring green cutting board background pictures (useful for my inventory) are good for gaging size but my pictures aren't anything to write home about in comparison to the wonderful examples a lot of our members share. They've got the lighting, background (sometimes with props), the tripod and camera down to a science.

This is an example of sufficient but certainly not artistic (1940 OMT Heavy Barrel):

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
11,706 Posts
My photography studio is really high tech. We have friends that have a framing shop, and I pick up the scraps of left over mat board for background. I have overhead fluorescent lights, and I put the pistol or whatever on the mat board, which is on a stool. I drag the stool around the room until I get the light just right, or in stubborn cases go outside in bright shade. Any point and shoot camera that has a macro setting has the capability of making better pictures than we can.

The correct settings on the camera, enough light, and a tripod are the secrets to making good photos.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your input on the OP, i too think it is original,now i know for sure from your postings. THANK YOU. as for my photo skills i will work on it
Will try to go out this week and do some target shooting to see where point of aim is and will report back.
EE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts