Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow wheeeee!
I feel like i just stepped into Colt Jurassic Park.

Dont see one all together in that shape very often.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
303 Posts
your second picture shows the heat treatment areas on the slide, what year did they do the whole slide? very nice package, thanks for posting, these early post war models are some of my favorites.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Any chance this might be coming up for sale anytime soon

That is very nice....must of come back and looked at it a bunch of times :)

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
your second picture shows the heat treatment areas on the slide, what year did they do the whole slide? very nice package, thanks for posting, these early post war models are some of my favorites.
Toward the end of WWII the three manufacturers were ask to submit 250 pistols with fully hardened slides to Springfield Armory for testing. The testing ended about the time the time WWII ended, but it was decided that all future slides would be hardened. No more 1911A1 pistols were manufactured, but the slides purchased by Ordnance from that time forward were hardened.

In addition to the hardening of the front of the slide and the slide stop notch area, the slide had a hardened steel recoil plate in the breech face. The fully hardened slide did away with the need for the hardened plug in the breech face.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts