Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this one up at the local LGS for 900.00 on consignment. I suppose I thought I'd better jump on it. I had a couple of concerns since I'm not a 1911 expert. To my surprise, this pistol checks out as a correct 1947 model. The barrel suggests very light shooting wear. There was dried grease on the barrel lugs and the barrel bushing.

Best of all, lately I was just getting my mind around the idea of paying about 2500.00 for a WWII Colt 1911 (I've had a couple of those, but much cheaper specimens.) There's a big show coming up, and I know a dealer there who always has several nice WWII Colts. Now, I'm thinking I don't need one. I didn't want to spend that much anyway. Too cheap. And, this one is more rare, if you go by production numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is already my favorite 1911 amongst the Series 70 Gov and the 1911 XSE stainless. The Commercial has lots and lots of character. I got lucky this time with a forever keeper. And, I happen to have a very nice 1950 Conversion Unit that I was using on my Series 70. Very happy today.

Very slow month up to now, action-wise. Kind of like fishing where you only catch one all day, but it's a whopper.

By the way, is that an XSE or an XS? I don't know what the difference is.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,431 Posts
I like it, also! Great find at a very good price. It has military grips, but original ones should be easy to find. I have a Colt Ace with similar markings from that same period of time.
Pretty sure the brown plastic military grips are correct for this vintage .

Beautiful find iwanna :cool:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Does anyone know what the barrel should be marked to be correct for 1967? Looks to be a an "HP" on top and a "&" underneath.

·
Administrator
7,431 Posts
Does anyone know what the barrel should be marked to be correct for 1967? Looks to be a an "HP" on top and a "&" underneath.
Suggest starting a new thread with pictures . You'll get more views that way .

·
Registered
301 Posts
According to my book, it states that all post WWII to include Commercial models in 45 acp should be marked "COLT 45 AUTO" on top of barrel. "There may or may not be".....a 'P' on the left lug and a boxed letter 'C' on the right lug. This applies to post WWII and Pre MKIV/Series 70

Hope this helps...I am no expert, just reading out of my book

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I suppose those databases are good for a general guide. You know, I just might letter this one. I never have tried that before. But, why not now since I'll never part with it. Thanks for the idea.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.