Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a mint 1950 OMS Target revolver. I also have an original Coltmaster rear sight-but, I don't know how to properly install it without possibly damaging this fine gun.:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I think its a real beauty. But I don't know anything about how to install your sight. Sorry

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is one lovely revolver, but unfortunately I am not well versed in my Coltisms. What does OMS stand for, Officers Model S?
Thanks for sharing,
Ralph

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1)Thanks for your compliments(DFrame & Ralph)!

2)Ralph: I'm sorry, as I should have stated in my original thread, that "OMS" stands for "Officer's Model Special"!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Colt38,
Pardon my ignorance but what makes a Special different from say an Officers Model Match?
Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I don't mind passing a compliment on a fine revolver. I'm hoping to find a nice revolver like yours. I want an Officer's Model before a Python.

I agree that the original rear sight should be installed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
At the least you would need a hammer and pin to drift the Micro sight out and then drift the Coltmaster sight in. Personally, I'd be talking to an experienced Colt smith like the folks at Pittsburgh Handgun.

As to the question about the differences between an Officers Model Match and Officers Model Special, the OMS has a barrel that is not tapered, a dual tone blue finish where the front of the frame and the flutes of the cylinder are flat blue, the rest of the revolver is high polish blue (except the end of the barrel which is "in the white"), the Coltmaster rear sight assembly rather than the later Accro, came standard with "Coltwood" stocks (plastic) and the front sight ramp is longer than the OMM. Oh, the OMS was only made from 1949 to 1952 and in my opinion still show most of the care in manufacture exhibited in pre-war Colt revolvers. Fine shooters.

Scott

·
Registered
778 Posts
SEBCO gave great advice. Have a pro do the sight change. They have the tools necessary to not leave marks on this fine revolver. Not knowing you personally, you may have the skills to do it yourself.

I have more than one Officers Model Special, which probably speaks of my reverance for this great gun.

Interesting that they changed the sight in the first place.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SEBCo:

1)Thanks for the information regarding Pittsburgh Handgun!

2)I agree that the rear sight should be changed out for the original Coltmaster! However, I don't want to risk damaging this revolver by attempting to remove the rear sight myself-nor, would I feel comfortable sending this gun out for this work(Because anything could happen to this gun!)! Once I have learned the exacting proceedure for removing this rear sight, I would possibly then, attempt to remove it?

3)I know where there is a good shooter grade Colt Officer's Model Special-and, I have been watching it! The Gun Shop that has this Colt, wants $450 for it! I might be able to obtain it for $400? I just hadn't decided whether or not it would be worth it to buy an OMS like this, just to shoot it? Although, it might be fun, sampling one of these great old target guns, at my local Gun Range? Although, I've got a lot of brushing up to do, as I haven't fired any guns in at least forty years!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Robba:

1)Do you also happen to have an Officer's Model Special in the .22 caliber? Although I doubt that I'll ever be enabled to find another Pristine OMS, I sure would like to find one of these as a perfect mate to my .38 special, OMS?

2)No, I don't have any experience in removing sights from guns! With the proper tools and instructions, I probably could do this job? But, I still might not want to take such a risk? It would be very easy to make a mistake and mar the finish on this OMS(Etc.)!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Great pictures and very nice condition gun and box. Your Colt is such a limited production piece, I would not attempt the sight change. Put the proper, original sight in the box with the gun, as is, and don't attempt the change. I have a similar Shooting Master situation, don't chance a slip or some damage. Your OMS is too nice, keep as is...
tommix

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tommix;

Thanks for the very wise advice! I would rather keep the gun intact, rather than to risk the consequences of fumbling the rear sight replacement! And, this is the reason that I had never attempted to reinstall the original Coltmaster sight!

I looked at the Coltmaster sight on the shooter grade OMS that I had mentioned above-and, I must say, that I do like it much better than the replaced rear sight on my OMS! I'd guess that some of those old Colt target shooters, evidently had thought that they could improve the already great performance of the OMS by replacing the original Coltmaster sight with a non-original one(Probably to no avail?)? If my understanding is correct, the Coltmaster sight was a pretty good one?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
From some of the older shooters I knew the OMS and the OMM just wasn't as popular because of the sights. They all preferred the original sights of the OMT or a King's sight. You know how the old geezers can be set in their ways. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I do not have an OMS in 22. We do have several other OM's in 22 though.

For my money, one of the best things about the OM's is that most all, even pristine examples have been shot. That's great, because then we can shoot them without harming them in any way.

We intend to expand this part of our collection somewhat, with models, and versions we don't presently have.

One of my major annoyances about gun collecting is the NIB guns, particularly Pythons, or ones that are so nice, that you risk harming them by shooting. We are seriously thinking about culling some of our safe queens because they have pretty well hit their zenith in value for some time to come.

Being an old geezer myself, I guess I appreciate guns from my own generation.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about the later OMT's with the factory Colt heavy(Tapered)barrel in .38 special? Are these nearly as desireable as the edition that came just before this heavy barrel version? I ask this because there is one of these in a gun shop that has been sitting for several months(Unsold!)despite this OMT being in 98% or better condition! It has a 6-inch barrel.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just bought a pre-war heavy barrel for about $450.00, which we were happy to get for that price.

That one you are looking at sounds great. If you can get it for $350.00 to $450.00 that would be OK.

In my opinion, OM's continue to be the sleeper of the Colt collecting world. They were made by the master gun makers in the good old days, and have no peer today.

I continue to be amazed at the fine condition of many of the old OM's we come across. That OMS you found is beautiful.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1)Thanks, Robba!

2)Yes, my OMS is very beautiful! However, it has spoiled me-because every OMT or OMS I have looked at never measures up to this one! I'm always attempting to find just mint omt's and oms's!

3)However, my eyes really "Bugged" out, whenever you had first posted that beautiful Colt Shooting Master of yours!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
From what I learned the heavy barrel models were very popular especially in .22lr. The .38 spl and the few .32 Colts were given heavy barrels so the set would match. As to the individual shooters I think it was split between those who wanted a heavy barrel and those who wanted the older standard barrel. Just a personal preference thing as they all are great shooters.
I've always wondered about the ramp for the front sight on the OMS and later guns. As some ramps are longer were they adjusting the muzzle weight? I've never seen or heard any reason for that. Someone here is bound to know or heard an explanation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Colt38,

I stand by my recommendation that if you are going to replace the rear sight assembly, have it done by a professional. I have done business with Pittsburgh Handgun and would trust them to do any appropriate work on a Colt of any condition.

The replacement of Coltmaster sights is not as rare as some might think, I've also got an OMS 38 with Micro rear sights, I actually prefer them to the Coltmaster on my OMS 22 when shooting the heck out of them at the range.

Good luck with whatever you decide. FWIW, I'd probably do what others have mentioned, just put the Coltmaster in the box and leave well enough alone. A lot less expensive too.

Scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts