Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got this from a buddy at work and today was my pick-up day. It's a 1951 Transitional (from my research) with original Lewis Holster.

While I was out, I saw these at a local shop if anyone is interested (not affilated with the shop or guns).
I'm more of a S&W revolver guy, but the Ropers caught my eye. Don't really know anything about Colt revolvers, so these prices might be priced high?

ELITE FIREARMS UNLTD/BEEJAY INC
28142 Camino Capistrano, Ste 104
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Phone: 949-364-2448

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Nice pickup Skilled. I looked at an identical Official Police King Super Target in Tulsa that was twice as much and still almost bought it. That was a deal!

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Very nice, Dump.

Since this came up from another poster a few weeks ago, I'd like to mention that there are no transitional features on a 1951 DS or Cobra. Guns often were shipped out of serial number sequence, but the Detective Specials with transitional features, such as a pre war frame, checkered hammer, trigger, cylinder latch and 1st pattern red/brown/black swirled plastic Coltwood stocks, in any combination, were assembled during the period of 1947-1949. Yours is a 1951 standard production model, not "transitional". They had the correct 2nd type dark matte brown Coltwood plastic stocks like yours. The ejector rod is the 3rd of 4 patterns made. The hammer and trigger surfaces are serrated and the cylinder release latch is smooth. The frame is a post war D frame.

The next major change with this model was discontinuing the dual tone finish and returning to checkered walnut stocks beginning in 1955.

It is one of my favorite models. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Very nice, Dump.

Since this came up from another poster a few weeks ago, I'd like to mention that there are no transitional features on a 1951 DS or Cobra. Guns often were shipped out of serial number sequence, but the Detective Specials with transitional features, such as a pre war frame, checkered hammer, trigger, cylinder latch and 1st pattern red/brown/black swirled plastic Coltwood stocks, in any combination, were assembled during the period of 1947-1949. Yours is a 1951 standard production model, not "transitional". They had the correct 2nd type dark matte brown Coltwood plastic stocks like yours. The ejector rod is the 3rd of 4 patterns made. The hammer and trigger surfaces are serrated and the cylinder release latch is smooth. The frame is a post war D frame.

The next major change with this model was discontinuing the dual tone finish and returning to checkered walnut stocks beginning in 1955.

It is one of my favorite models. Congratulations!
Thanks for the info.

Holster kinda visible in this pic.
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

The front of the holster looks like this: (pic from the net).
Revolver Handgun holster Starting pistol

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to have a similarly-designed RH Hoyt holster, but not nearly as nicely built nor nearly as nice a condition as your Lewis. I don't care for those clamshell type holsters for using, but some of them (like yours) are sure nice to look at. And so period correct!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.