Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a local shop today and came across what I believe to be a cobra / agent. According to the serial # 11244LW. I have never seen one before. It is blued and matte finish And the grips have no medallions only molded in. It comes with its original box and papers. It is in almost unused condition with the exception of a few speck of the matte finish on the backstrap that has come off. I only took a couple of pics that I will show and would like your opinions on anything you may see good or bad. He is asking $1300 and I would like to know if you feel it’s worth that much? any information would be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,669 Posts
It's 1952 production according to Colt's serial number lookup...and duo-tone to boot and correct stocks. Personally...I think it's a bit high but you have to weigh my opinion against whether you'll ever find another package as nice. It's not out of the ballpark too high but top of the market. If you could knock a hundred or more off that I think it's a solid buy.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
It's 1952 production according to Colt's serial number lookup...and duo-tone to boot and correct stocks. Personally...I think it's a bit high but you have to weigh my opinion against whether you'll ever find another package as nice. It's not out of the ballpark too high but top of the market. If you could knock a hundred or more off that I think it's a solid buy.
I'd try to get it for $1200 but if I had the opportunity, I would not pass on this one.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Is the duo-tone any more or less desirable as far as collectability? I am also wondering about how to clean if necessary the matte finish to retain its originality?
The anodizing is pretty tough but will wear. You really do not need to oil the alloy frame but the steel cylinder, barrel, etc. will need to be.
A holster will wear the anodizing on the edges quite quickly. Now I'm a shooter, I buy guns to shoot. If I bought this one and if it has been fired other than the factory, I'd shoot it. Once.
This early Cobra in the box is definitely a collector item.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The anodizing is pretty tough but will wear. You really do not need to oil the alloy frame but the steel cylinder, barrel, etc. will need to be.
A holster will wear the anodizing on the edges quite quickly. Now I'm a shooter, I buy guns to shoot. If I bought this one and if it has been fired other than the factory, I'd shoot it. Once.
This early Cobra in the box is definitely a collector item.
From the condition I honestly can’t tell if it has been fired or even carried for that matter. No way of knowing. I am a shooter as well but I would probably keep this one as a collector.

·
Registered
12,669 Posts
Is the duo-tone any more or less desirable as far as collectability? I am also wondering about how to clean if necessary the matte finish to retain its originality?
The duo-tone and the plastic stocks were originally cost-cutting measures but have since become somewhat a collectible on their own.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Beautiful early Cobra in mint condition and with box - I'd try to haggle as well but I'd buy it. Even paying the asking $1300, you're right on the edge anyway and in a year it'll seem like a smoking deal. You don't see those in that condition very often at all. In fact, I've never seen one that early in that condition.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He was reluctant to even let it go but he came down to $1250 so I put money on it and will pick it up in a week or so. I looked at it in person already but it’s about 2 hrs drive away. I will check it out again then but I’m confident on its condition. Looking forward to getting it home. I’ll share more after I pick it up. Any other comments and information is welcome. Thanks for all the help from this great forum.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I think at today's prices, you did well. You've gotten a nice early one with dual tone finish, correct stocks and the box. Can't do much better, and it will never go down in price as long as you keep it as is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think at today's prices, you did well. You've gotten a nice early one with dual tone finish, correct stocks and the box. Can't do much better, and it will never go down in price as long as you keep it as is.
Thanks
that’s why I turn to you all for help. Im really looking forward to getting it in my hands again and enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have a 4 digit Cobra that is well worn and is in the 8200 range but is also listed on the colt site as being of 1952 production. You have a very nice condition gun……mine is my truck gun since it has some finish issues. My DS are in far better condition and are for show and tell.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
.38 caliber, 4 inch square butt Cobra, serial no. 35XX (1951). The old gentleman I bought the gun from had brought it in to the show in one of his old Army socks. He told me that he had carried it during the Korean War. I added the MOP grips.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.38 caliber, 4 inch square butt Cobra, serial no. 35XX (1951). The old gentleman I bought the gun from had brought it in to the show in one of his old Army socks. He told me that he had carried it during the Korean War. I added the MOP grips.

View attachment 804255 View attachment 804256
That’s very nice and a great story to boot makes it that much more special.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Well bought. The finish on the alloy frame Cobra was relatively fragile when compared to a Detective Special of the same era. Yours is in EXCEPTIONAL condition. I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts