Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I bought a '55 Cobra which I dearly love. (Just the revolver, no box or papers.) It's ~=/> 95% (absolutely minimum wear {I would think a desk drawer/nightstand revolver}. Not only clean and beautiful, but bank-vault tight, and shoots like a dream. i've always had an affinity for Colts and the DS; now I have the Cobra to scratch that itch, and the light weight is wonderful.

I intend to keep it "retro" and am ordering a Tyler T-Grip. Hard to find suitable vintage leather, but have found a J-frame shoulder holster that works. I'm using Federal Ny-Clads {I'm glad they're back!} and HKS speed-loaders, though I'd like to get a 2X2X2 belt pouch for looks.

If I were to use it in a BUG match, I shouldn't think that it would be possible to use a full moon clip without milling space for it on the back of the cylinder {which I would never do}. I can't imagine that it would be feasible, but it would be a great quick reload.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Samuel Colt

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I agree with weekendplinker. Maybe you want to get a more recent Cobra in working condition or another smallish revolver for the alterations you have in mind? I was born in 1952, and I have an exc. condition 1952 Cobra and a 1953 DS and I wouldn't consider doing this at all.

I am sorry I can't make any suggestions about how to have it done or if it's feasible, however, we have several experienced Colt gunsmiths on the website and I would be surprised if they didn't make some suggestions for you later.

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
The poster states he/she is not intending to do the modification, but wonders if it is possible without milling the rear of the cylinder. No, that it is not possible. It would be necessary to machine off the rear of the cylinder and ejector enough to accommodate the thickness of the "full moon clip" and the cartridge rim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. I felt sure, always knew, that the breech face of the cylinder would need to be relieved for the moon clip. However, one sees so many moon clips now on TV, without mention of the work in adaptation, that I was less certain of what I knew.

I plan to keep it as is. It seems both a pleasure and a crime to shoot it, but I mean to enjoy it without abusing it so that it has a purpose in life.

Samuel Colt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.