Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not the greatest example, but not that bad, and since I believe there were very few 2" Marshal's made I am pleased to add it to my snub collection. I am going to get it lettered as it would add another 60% to the value if correct. :)

It looks original to me, but I would appreciate the experts opinions. I bought it right as neither the seller or I believed it was correct because of the lack of the "M" in the suffix of the S/N. That was before I started this other thread. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/50989-colt-marshal-revisited.html

So what do you think? TIA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
When lettering the gun, try to get the historian NOT to add an "-M" to the serial number when issuing the letter. That happened to me when I lettered a Marshal, even though I asked the same thing. However, I suspect the problem may be with the record actually showing the "M." I speculate that, for some reason, the records were entered with an "M" suffix, but the guns did not have an "M" suffix. Maybe the "M" was added to the record to help identify the guns as a Marshal to distinguish them from the Official Police being in the same numerical sequence.

Looks like a nice gun example of a rare gun.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We encountered a large number of the Marshal model revolvers in the NYC PD.
None we examined and or worked on were ever arked with the "M" in the serial number.
Of course the NYCPD guns were all 4" as they complied with the same specs as for the
Official Police.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Congratulations, Elliot on another fine Colt snubby in your collection.

You are amassing a very substantial collection of Colt snubbies, a great cross section of Colt collecting.

Thanks for showing them to us all.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
What's not to like? I love it!
The number and examples of desireable Colts you've been getting is almost dizzying.
All I can say is you better protect that source of yours!
Congrats, Elliot.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Malysh, now that I am retired and know how to get information, I have multiple sources. :)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
That is one nice snubbie.My non shrouded ejector snubbie collection amounts to only three,my 1968 D.S.,1971 Nickel D.S.,and my 1960 Cobra.Never heard of the Marshal before....Enjoy

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Mike I wish LOL.The next snubbie that will have residence in the safe is that Classic Model 36 to replace the 640 barrel launcher.When it arrives I am going to SHOOT THE HELL OUT OF IT to make sure S+W doesn't continue in thier tradition of making barrel launchers.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts