Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1955 Colt Commerical Government Model
Looking for opinions on this one please. Could this be "not original" to the gun Colt factory engraving? Please no slamming if it is not, as I really like this gun. What are these grips? I have a letter on this one. Shipped to Kentucky in 1955.
Does this engaving add or take value from this gun? Gun is very tight. Barrel is pristine. Sweet trigger!
View attachment 57847 View attachment 57848 View attachment 57849 View attachment 57850 View attachment 57851

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Front sight doesn't look original. Engraving probably not factory Colt, only a letter will tell. I actually like the look of this pistol, very clean.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Grips look like pearl. No idea about engraving. Stclair seems to be very knowledgable in this department, maybe he will come along to give his thoughts. Either way I think it's very nice!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm assuming that your letter does not mention anything about it leaving the factory engraved. It could have actually been done by a Colt or Ex-Colt engraver but if not mentioned on the letter....value is determined by how much someone likes it as compared to a factory engraved pistol.

Without the letter you can never know who actually did the engraving unless it is signed under one of the grips.

Nice looking gun...I actually like engraving..if not too much.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments guys. Pictures really do not do this gun justice. I believe the grips probably are pearl. As for the engraving it was done some time later. Not stated on my Colt letter. Not sure if it may be Colt factory though..Hopefully Stclair will chime in. Maybe if anyone here knows him, they can pass the link for this thread to him.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
It's tastefully executed. I like subtle and simply rendered usage of custom materials as with the stocks. Let the materials "speak" for themselves, even for the fancy guns.
The finish on the frame, having no engraving, is very nicely done, but also not original, at least in standard factory configuration.
I like the pearl stocks. And I'm not generally drawn to those. I am guessing a slide with engraving post factory would need to be refinished? I don't want to assume since engraving is one of those things I am a Philistine about.

Colt letter; probably not with the outcome you hope for.

Good luck! I like this gun, too.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Front sight doesn't look original. Engraving probably not factory Colt, only a letter will tell. I actually like the look of this pistol, very clean.
You're right on, smutt. The front sight doesn't look original because it's not original. Could be a custom order, like the possibility the entire gun is a custom order, but it seems unlikely to me.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of your comments. I could never learn too much about these Colts. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any idea what this gun might be worth?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nobody has any idea on this guns's value as it stands?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
As I have recently learned, the slide is an Argentine. The gun is refinished. Though the pictures are poor, the grips look plastic to me.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
You’re right, don’t look at the posting dates usually...question is how did it come back???

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
They show up in the "Recommended Reading" at the bottom of every thread. The top one right now is from 2009.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts