Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a virtually NIB, police Positive Special(Circa 1956)that the asking price is $425? Is this too much to pay for this particular vintage PPS? And, what about the "Collectibility" of this particular revolver? Or, is this just considered to be just a "Mint" shooter type revolver(Without much "Collectibility"?)?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
First,is there anything "rare" about the PPS? Probably 4" bbls. are most common. I recently paid $100 less for a 5" O.P.,with box,unfired(NOT NOW!),and think it was a "good deal",but guns tend to be priced "lower" up here in Maine,or should I say these type of "vintage" pieces. Hunting guns,quasi military styles,and "spray & pray" semi auto pistols are in with most buyers,so I am lucky in having minimum competition for my Colt & S&W vintage pieces(but the internet auctions have had an effect).

I would say,that P.P.S. tended to be less popular after W.W. Two,and I have seen far fewer than O.Polices. Seemed that P.D.s,that were Colt orientated,used the D.S. for the "plainclothes types",and the larger O.P.s for the uniformed types,at least in the 50's-60's here in New England.

Often "the plain jane",not special features guns,get ignored by collectors,until the realiztion sets in. Case in point;the commemorative Frontier Scouts,are now usually LESS than a mint example of a regular Frontier Scout,or the .22 Peacemaker. Bud

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There are some PP and PPS collectors, though you will hear more of the Dick Special collectors. So yes it will draw some interest, but to a small crowd. If everything is included in the sale then it's not a bad price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts